What do think is the main reason why coffee is not as progressive in this region as it is in other places in the U.S.?

Discuss. Do.

Views: 60

Replies to This Discussion

The South is big on tradition, and traditions are hard to break. Here the coffee tradition is something hot in the morning that wakes you up by combination of caffeine and and face puckering. Also the hot weather makes a hot drink not as desirable. If it's 100 degrees out side with 98% humidity it's hard to enjoy a nice hot brew. Ice coffee is popular but then there's iced tea. As a good ole Alabama boy, it's real hard to turn down a big glass of sweet tea when it's hot. Just some thoughts. I might change my mind about it later.
I agree it's hard to sell a cup of coffee or a 16oz glass of hot milk when it's 100 degrees outside.
It's the south....I'd say that we in this group are the coffee culture. Until that grows past starbucks we'll have one heck of an up hill battle. Because the bucks doesn't have a problem with the weather, so stay strong and keep on fighting the good fight. We can win the south with the power of community.
I agree that the heat can sometimes be a problem, there are some really successful coffeehouse and companies in the Southeast. It's just in small pockets. With the exception of the past two years where we have had unseasonably warm temperatures, we keep the same averages as say Kansas City. Atlanta is a great example of a town that has a growing coffee culture, despite the weather. Our morning temps are great coffee weather, but I would agree there are challenges in the afternoon, and early evening in late Spring through the beginning of Fall.
I just think the culture as a whole, not just the traffic wants to be pushed in a more progressive direction. For far too many years, coffee in the South has consisted of that black water with a hint of flavor and lots of caffeine. And I think we can help be a catalyst to see that changed to where people really enjoy coffee and espresso in it's inherent value. I believe we in the Southeast are selling ourselves and the coffee short to not push the see our scene as beloved as it is in other parts of the world. Maybe it's idealistic, but I feel it can be achieved through hard work, and reeducating the customer about coffee. It can happen, and that doesn't mean there is alot of work to do.
Very True ! Im from Brooklyn, NY and recently opened a coffeehouse in Atlanta. It's definitely growing. Everywhere I turn, a coffeehouse is popping up. Most of our customers who come in are being "adventurous" and are used to Starbucks's Caramel Macchiatos and such.

I think weather and culture do play a big role in that. Re-education has helped me alot ESPECIALLY in the type of area Im in which is going thru a transition.

Most of my espresso-based customers aren't from the South originally. Just like how certain delicacies from other countries may make someone from another turn their nose up in disgust. It's the same principle. Southern food bred people known as "super-tasters" food loaded with flavor (usually very sweet or very spicy). When you come in as a gourmet coffee establishment and try to encourage and promote coffee as a drink to enjoy for it's taste instead of needed for it's caffeine jolt , it's going to be a struggle.

Starbucks loads their drinks with sugar and cater to mostly NON-coffee connoisseurs. Which is why it seems the majority of people trust and like them more.
You do bring up a great point; how many people come into our shops, in Atlanta especially, that are actually from the south. And by no means do I think any shop should go the bucks route on coffee ideals, and for the love of God don't get me started on the Caramel "Macchiato". Just stay creative and try to always educate the customer to what Specialty Coffee means to the world and to their cup. Small shops beat the neighboring starbucks everyday and them closing stores is proof of that. And so far the only weather in the south I haven't been able to beat is the rain....but I'll figure out how to get ducks to drink coffee.
I'm sorry, but we live in an area where Bubba is king. Quick Trip and Speedway are the number one destinations for coffee, and a cappuccino to most folks here is a 24 ounce vanilla hazelnut frothy delight of joy and discust. Bless their heart. I am originally from the Best Coast and this coast has a long way to go. Thank the Lord for the Counter Cultures and the Batdorf & Bronsons of the world, especially for Batdorf and their foresite over 12 years ago to come to Atlanta. Too bad nobody knew they were here until recently.
LOL Yea Dale what's up with that? When I first opened and it rained.. I was excited ! I thought ,"Aw yea! Customers are gonna pack this place out! It's raining!" No one came :-/ ... That's WHACK ! lol
Back home , (Brooklyn) coffeehouses are packed in the rain !

You and Ken are right (Hey Ken !! :-P ) Starbucks Macchiatos and Cappucinos PISS ME OFF ! I constantly have to go through a whole shpiel of why they're not ordering what they think they're ordering WITHOUT offending them. I can't say "uh... sorry this isn't the gas station cappuccino you DO know that right?" lol But after I do , they appreciate it and they pass on that info.

To this day I have this customer even after I explained everything , she still orders a Venti Caramel Macchiato I think she's just an idot tho.
Ken, YOUR KILLING ME!!! I can't believe y'all are bashing the south. Granted, we (collectively we are all Southerners') all may be a little slower to move into the millenium with our passion for coffee....BUT...look at it this way....we look like heroes by suggesting something other than a Caramel "Macchiato"....AND...we've let everyone else work the bugs out so that we can offer shear perfection ONCE it does get to the south!! And lets be totally honest...we have the MOST loyal customers once we do snag them!
I'm just keepin' it real sweet sista.
Ken, I agree you are partially right, but I think that stereotype is growing old. I grew up in Atlanta, and agree with most of your assessment, but times have changed. I live in a booming city full of banking jobs and tech jobs. Coffee is hip, it's sexy, and we just need to work to redefine what their definition of good coffee is. Again, I go back to Kansas City or even Chattanooga. You been there lately? There is lots of great coffee in both cities, and there are great companies like Stone Cup and Parisi Brothers that are qorkin to redefine what good coffee is to their cities. Those aren't what you would normally consider to be progressive cities. But they clearly are. That's all I mean.
I think we are selling our coffee short by not working hard to push the coffee culture forward despite old stereotypes. Still good thoughts, though, and I love the dialogue!
Yea Education Revolution go hand in hand !! :-P

So now... how do you all propose we get people out on rainy days out here?

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service