Alright, I'll start this out with a disclaimer: I live in South Florida. There is no coffee here. To keep from losing my mind, I am going to tour the top cafes in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina, in the period of a few days.

Unfortunately, due to time and budget constraints, I'll be unable to make it to the Durham, Chapel Hill area (I know), but I hope to visit all leading shops along the way. I have a brief list now, and would love additional suggestions.

The Itinerary:

Sunday, May 4th, 2008:
West Palm Beach, FL to Atlanta, GA
afternoon: Volta Coffee in Gainsville, FL
continue driving to hotel south of Atlanta
night: arrive in Atlanta area

Monday, May 5th, 2008:
Atlanta to Greenville, SC to Asheville, NC
morning: Octane Coffee Bar, continue driving
afternoon: Coffee and Crema, Greenville, continue driving
night: arrive in Asheville

Tuesday, May 6th, 2008:
Asheville to Charlotte, NC
morning: Izzy's Coffee
afternoon: explore Asheville
night: drive to Gastonia

Wednesday, May 7th, 2008:
Charlotte, NC
Dilworth Coffee and any suggested shops

Thursday, May 8th, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Hike Crowder's Mountain

Friday, May 9th, 2008
Counter Culture Training Lab
Cupping at 10 am

Saturday, May 10th, 2008
Charlotte, NC to Brunswick, GA
Palm Coast Coffee, St. Simons Island, GA

Sunday, May 11th, 2008
Brunswick back to West Palm Beach, FL
Probably no coffee

Again, I would love any additional stops, not just limited to cafes. I'm also interested in visiting roasters, and love ethnic food (especially Indian and Middle Eastern). Also, does anyone have any recommendations for coffee touring? Should I be calling shops in advance? Any SOPs? My last coffee tour was Vancouver and Seattle, lots of fun.

Views: 75

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Jill for the compliment. As far as Asheville goes, I would stick with Izzy's. And that's interesting, I have never heard of the BacInTyme coffeehouse....
I have an 8am on Wednesday, but I'm going to see if I can swing a drop in when Brandon stops by...I had a great latte last night at Jackson's Java...I was REALLY surprised! I've never been to Caffiend in Asheville, it appears to be "unique"....yeah...BacInTyme is doing a soft opening this month...I haven't been there yet, but hear the tree is absolutely worth the visit!
I don't want to talk bad about another shop, they are nice guys that run it, but it wouldn't one of my personal favorites in Asheville for several reasons. The first is, the coffee just wasn't that good. I had espresso, and it was just way off. They blamed it on the machine, but I know better. The second is, you can smoke in there, and the smoke was so thick my wife walked out as soon as she walked in. Granted, this was at night, but still. Then, there were all the kids making out on a couch. It just didn't impress me. I love the concept, the people were nice, but not one of the better shops I have been to.
Thanks for the words about the new shop. I visited Debra @the Passage yesterday, she's a nice lady.
well, if like Indian check out youtube/shoalsstudios and learn how easy it is to cook and from my experience opening up an Indian Restaurant. First make or buy Garum Masala - I show you how in my first video - then try "butter chicken"

Where in florida is there no espresso? Maybe a good lead for a new cafe?
Everywhere but Gainsville is coffee-void. I don't think the market will support it, though, cost of living is just too high. I'll definately check out your videos; I'm having spicy tofu stirfry and batsami rice for dinner tonight. Rice just finished, I can smell it from the other room!
Blog of my coffee adventure: http://cuppingclub.blogspot.com
Well, im in Northeast Florida. Jacksonville... well... west side ish. BUT I have *most* of my teeth still so aint quite a born westsider.. but will claim a lernt redneck who likes good coffee.

Gimme a week er so notice and ill be glad to have ya over fer a drink and some good ole cookin sometime.... (if im not tied to the megawatt mines for an outage that is)... work for the power plant and on really tough hours now, I barely have time to feed myself let alone entertain.
This was a cool idea. Just now got a chance to check in and read the blog. Glad you stopped by, and hope you enjoyed it. It was nice to be able to chat coffee with someone with such a great attitude, approach, and enthusiasm for coffee. I wish you the best.

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service