Alright, I'll start this out with a disclaimer: I live in South Florida. There is no coffee here. To keep from losing my mind, I am going to tour the top cafes in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina, in the period of a few days.

Unfortunately, due to time and budget constraints, I'll be unable to make it to the Durham, Chapel Hill area (I know), but I hope to visit all leading shops along the way. I have a brief list now, and would love additional suggestions.

The Itinerary:

Sunday, May 4th, 2008:
West Palm Beach, FL to Atlanta, GA
afternoon: Volta Coffee in Gainsville, FL
continue driving to hotel south of Atlanta
night: arrive in Atlanta area

Monday, May 5th, 2008:
Atlanta to Greenville, SC to Asheville, NC
morning: Octane Coffee Bar, continue driving
afternoon: Coffee and Crema, Greenville, continue driving
night: arrive in Asheville

Tuesday, May 6th, 2008:
Asheville to Charlotte, NC
morning: Izzy's Coffee
afternoon: explore Asheville
night: drive to Gastonia

Wednesday, May 7th, 2008:
Charlotte, NC
Dilworth Coffee and any suggested shops

Thursday, May 8th, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Hike Crowder's Mountain

Friday, May 9th, 2008
Counter Culture Training Lab
Cupping at 10 am

Saturday, May 10th, 2008
Charlotte, NC to Brunswick, GA
Palm Coast Coffee, St. Simons Island, GA

Sunday, May 11th, 2008
Brunswick back to West Palm Beach, FL
Probably no coffee

Again, I would love any additional stops, not just limited to cafes. I'm also interested in visiting roasters, and love ethnic food (especially Indian and Middle Eastern). Also, does anyone have any recommendations for coffee touring? Should I be calling shops in advance? Any SOPs? My last coffee tour was Vancouver and Seattle, lots of fun.

Views: 75

Replies to This Discussion

I called a buddy I have in Brunswick, and he said to go to Palm Coast Coffee on St. Simons Island. It's right next to Brunswick, and having lived there, a perfect place to enjoy a nice cup of coffee on the beach! (Shannon worked with me at the coffeehouse I ran in Athens, so I know he knows good coffee.)
Thanks Jason. It'll be nice to have a cup on the way home.
Yep! And yes, there will be bowling bloodshed. ;-)
On a side note, make sure I get a picture with your vanity plate!
It will not be used against me in a court of law, will it? ;-)
No, just the court of public opinion.
Cool. I can handle public opinion. Most people know how I feel about the mermaid anyway, no disrespect to you!
Screechhhh...Trying to steer the thread back on topic. Not working. Have you sent in for a Whynatte sticker yet? I should have one for my Taurus wagon by the end of the week. Will bring with me. What coffee shops are worth visiting in Charlotte? We tried to visit one last Turkey Day, but it was closed.
Itinerary Updated.
Cool Brendon. I'll take care of ya in Charlotte. I will take you around to the good shops around here, and then Wii if you have the time!
Hey Brendon, it'll be good to meet you. What a great idea. Let me know when you guys would be by and I'll be sure to be there.

One of our neighbors in the shopping center is an Alladin's restaurant - small Lebanese chain out of Cleveland. Good hummus, baba, falafal, etc. A great lunch or dinner.

Jason will surely take care of your Dilworth stores, and some others. Also make sure you stop in to see Deborah at Java Passage just around the corner from the Dilworth roastery. She runs a great store, pretty minimalist - owner/sole operator as near as I can tell. They use Counter Culture, but the Forte' espresso, not the Toscano. She pulls great shots.

Are you gonna hit Charleston too?

A shame you won't make it to Three Cups in Chapel Hill. I've yet to make it, but it is supposed to be a must-see while here in NC.

See you in a few weeks.
Brady
Brandon! Wow this sounds like soooo much fun! OK...have you been to any roasters in Sarasota Florida? I would highly recommend Latitude 23.5...ask for Tom - they rock! Also as you head north, in Greenville SC there's another roaster...West End Coffee Roasters! Great Folks there too! Did you hear about the 24 hour coffee shop in Asheville? I can't talk about the coffee only met the owner. OH...when in Charlotte...you need to check out BacInTyme Coffee shop...especially since it has a 200 year old Crepe Myrtle in the back! OK...that's my two cents....Let me know when you are going to Dilworth to meet Jason...the most awesome latte maker!!!!!

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service