A barista just asked me about the difference between steaming Mocha syrup in the pitcher with the milk or adding the steamed milk to a cup with the syrup in the cup. I've always added syrup to the drink and added steamed milk to it.

Will it make a flavor difference adding mocha to the milk and steaming both together?

Views: 8245

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What do you mean "aside from removing the tips"? (smiling winky face to denote a little sarcasm) There is no other regular maintenance needed if you are removing the tips. Honestly though, I have never used the milk cleaning solution, but I know the product to which you refer. It is an enzyme that will break down the milk chunks and let residue blow out with the steam. I just have this psychological aversion to the digestion process taking place inside the steam pipe. It does work, though, and is a fine substitute.

There is actually a way to install a small vacuum breaker on some steam valves themselves. If your valve has just the right configuration, and you know exactly where to drill, and you tap the threads, and you get a hold of the right valve, you can just install it yourself. It prevents the boiler disaster, and keeps the small daily build-up to a negligible minimum.

See it here:
http://www.coffeed.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=882&st=0&sk=...
Phil Proteau said:
What do you mean "aside from removing the tips"? (smiling winky face to denote a little sarcasm) There is no other regular maintenance needed if you are removing the tips. Honestly though, I have never used the milk cleaning solution, but I know the product to which you refer. It is an enzyme that will break down the milk chunks and let residue blow out with the steam. I just have this psychological aversion to the digestion process taking place inside the steam pipe. It does work, though, and is a fine substitute.
There is actually a way to install a small vacuum breaker on some steam valves themselves. If your valve has just the right configuration, and you know exactly where to drill, and you tap the threads, and you get a hold of the right valve, you can just install it yourself. It prevents the boiler disaster, and keeps the small daily build-up to a negligible minimum. See it here:
http://www.coffeed.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=882&st=0&sk=...

Meaning, do you use something like this to scrub out the inside of the wand tubing?
http://static.zoovy.com/img/espressoparts2/-/P/pallo_swb_sm_br
Man, that totally beats my rolled up paper towel. That thing looks great for the job.
Syrup in the pitcher - yum. It does infuse the milk well, BUT unless your milk portioning is spot on, you are wasting and then your flavor is disproportionate.
i feel when making drinks (as a chef/barista) with syrups the texture of the drink is improved when you add the syrup to the pitcher and it is given the chance to be heated through the milk rather than just being poured into at the end, however with the amount of people around these days that have allergies (to nut{are there nut traces in nut syrups or nah?}or lactose and stuff like that) i think you have to be careful with what goes into your milk jug if you are making flavoured drinks.
Does make everything more of a challenge to clean too, but in the end its aesthetically more pleasing to most.
Always put the syrup or sauce in the cup, and not the pitcher. There's not a huge flavor difference, but it's not good to steam milk with all that gunk in it.
i steam syrups in my milk, i like how the flavor carries through the milk, and sometimes the color of the milk looks awesome. then i can pour latte art and it looks neat, and i worry less if the flavor of the syrup is carried through the milk evenly. i don't steam sauces with the milk cuz then it really does make a mess of the steam wand. i'm pretty ridiculously meticulous about the steam wand, but lots of baristas may not be, so i think really either way is fine- just as long as care for the machine is a top priority.
The coffee shop I work at uses powdered mocha(not my choice obviously as I only work there). Would you steam it with the milk or put some in the bottom of the cup and use the espresso to warm and mix it before putting the milk over it?
We teach flavor in the pitcher.
As Phil has said...there is no danger to your equipment and it distributes the flavor more thoroughly.
Becki also is right your portions need to be near exact so as not to be off in the flavor.
If you use cocoa powder mix...it is best used in the pitcher. If you Have a sauce then it can really only be used in the cup and stirred.
The way I see it...steaming in the pitcher not only distributes the flavor better...but it also a. saves you from having to dirty a spoon. B. Is quicker because you do not have to stir. C. Preserves the integrity of the espresso in the cup (even though they are adding syrups to the drink the espresso still deserves some respect)
The great art about this industry is that we all may be proven wrong a few years from now. At the moment and in my opinion this is what works best for flavors.
-Chris Deferio
Whatever Johnny I've seen you do it! wait, are we talking about steam wands or is this a metaphor?

Johnny Bicycler said:
i would never never let my steam wand touch chocolate. eeeeekkk
Stevie Anna said:
The coffee shop I work at uses powdered mocha(not my choice obviously as I only work there). Would you steam it with the milk or put some in the bottom of the cup and use the espresso to warm and mix it before putting the milk over it?

We do a housemade powdered cocoa mix as well (my choice... cause it is great) and have good luck with putting the powder in the pitcher, hitting it with an ounce or two of water from the boiler's tap, and giving it a quick swirl before adding the milk. This step kinda blooms it a bit and helps dissolve and prevent chunks. Steaming it with the milk further dissolves and mixes it, smoothing things out.
Ok so what would the the wand damage be like if I were using chocolate milk? And chocolate is made by adding water and sugar to the pure chocolate powder.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service