Ok, I need to remove the dispersion screens from the group heads of my Simonelli for a good soak in Urnex and I guess the flat head screws that hold them in finally have refused to come out because I have all but stripped out the heads and now they are stuck! Anyone else have this experience, any "constructive" suggestions??

Views: 1589

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wayne Oberholzer said:
Solution? Once a week, use a dedicated screw driver to slightly losen the screw. only a fraction though. Not one of those stupid barista tool things. A proper screw driver.

...or just make sure that when you re-install your screens after removing them for cleaning that you do not overtighten the screw.

You should be removing and soaking screens at least weekly (if not daily) anyway. An even better strategy is to have a second set of screens that are soaking in solution while the other set is in use... then swap a couple of times a week. Backflushing regularly with solution does a reasonable job of keeping the screen clean, but there is still gunk that builds up over time that will show up in your espresso unless you are removing and soaking them.
Follow Phil's instructions and you'll be fine. You can get away with just folding down one half of the screen. We do stock a replacement group screw that uses a 4mm allen wrench for removal (part number 00000153, $0.80), to avoid this scenario in the future. You can also use a small amount of lube on the first few threads when screw is installed.

bb
First, when you fold the screens down, look to see if there's a couple of allen head screws in the disc that the screen screw goes into. Most machines have a brass disc that can be removed, with the screen still attached. This will allow you to work on it much easier. If you still can't get the screw out you can take the disc, (rather than the whole machine), to an automotive machine shop where they can drill it out and re-tap the threads. This won't work if the screws actually go directly into the group head but that's usually not the case.

I've tried those screw removers where you drill out the screw head and use a reverse threaded extractor tool but never had any luck with that. The machine shop will charge less than a set of those would cost anyway.

We use a food-safe lube like the type used for ice cream and shake machines whenever the screws are reinserted. Just a tiny smear on the first few threads.
Hey everyone who replied, just an update that I got all the parts in and over the past two days "butterflied" the heck out of four micro-screens. With the help of a pair of vice-grips and channel lock pliers on one particularly stubborn group, it worked like a charm and now my groups are sparkling and good to go for another 5 years or 50,000 shots of espresso, whichever comes first. I thank you all for your help, the Simonelli thanks you the baristas and most importantly our customers thank you. Espresso Suscitatio Spiritus!!
I found this information helpful to me when I removed the screen on my new Alex Duetto II. I thought I would never get it back in until I applied some vaseline to the gasket.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service