Typically I have seen iced lattes made the same way. Cold milk, ice, and espresso shots, with the occasional flavoring. Recently my wife and I came across a coffee shop that did things a little differently. They steamed the milk for the iced latte, putting the flavor in the milk, and then poured the steamed milk into a full cup of ice pouring the shot on top. When she got it the drink was frothy, and luke warm. It was not a pleasant experience. Has anyone heard this before... Any comments and feedback will be appreciated.

Views: 12213

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Overall, when I first read this thread, I thought "Ew, milk needs to be cold. duh." BUT just give it a try steamed low with plenty of froth. As was mentioned earlier, it just changes the whole texture of the drink to be very bubbly throughout and is reminiscent of the texture of beer.

I understand the reaction a lot of people have, but don't knock it til you have tried it (using proper methods!) You may be pleasantly surprised! In fact, my co-worker was so excited about the iced capps that he keeps making them for others and secretly hopes that they find the texture unappealing so he can down it himself!

Just think about trying it maybe... you might find a new summertime treat! :]
I always use a martini shaker to make my iced coffees and they always come out extremely cold and refreshing. i usually fill the shaker up with ice, add 2 shots of espresso, 6 oz of milk a teaspoon(ish) of sugar and shake until the shaker is too cold to hang on to anymore. too violently crushes too much ice and the coffee is diluted, but this has only happened to me once. The shaking gives a very nice cold foam at the top of the drink and you don't have to deal with any temperature difference from steaming. Its quick, easy, and COLD.

Enjoy!
Trevor said:
Ok, so the trick for adding texture to cold milk and sweetening it with some agitation is a martini shaker. Add espresso, cold milk, a couple ice cubes and shake vigorously. Fill your glass with desired amount of ice, liquid should be cold after shaking, and pour over top ice cubes. Shaking the milk with the espresso creates a nice foam on top of the latte. It also sweetens it a bit. This may be a result of the milk we are using as well. I honestly haven't tried it with other milks so can't offer any comparisons. So with that being said, shake it up. Also, if you are adding other ingredients to your lattes give it a try in the shaker. You'll see a major improvement all around. The results as opposed to stirring in ingredients are leaps and bounds better. Let me know how it works for ya.

Yeah I was gunna mention this, and also, honestly... you can shake the milk in just about anything. A lot of my iced drink creations of the past got topped with a tiny bit of half and half or heavy cream and I would just shake it in the cardboard container to froth it up, then slowly pour it on top to create a layer. Not ideal, but we were a bar as well as a cafe and sometimes you just had nothing but dirty- read as full of booze or in need of rinsing or whatever- martini shakers and eventually I figured out you could just shake away in the cream container and it worked just fine for frothing and layering.

Not very fancy looking, but it gets the job done, especially when you have like 50 people in line.

-bry
Ugh. I'm sorry you had to go through that?

Personally, I'm a big fan of starting off by quickly steaming some milk (just for the foam after) and then putting it directly into the freezer as I go to get the ice cubes. Then, with milk/soy (and cold, for the love of everything, I've been wanting to try out frothing it with one of those electric gimics, though I'll have to try out a martini shaker possibly as well), adding the ice (two or three cubes), first, and then pouring the espresso (whether pre-chilled, or fresh depending on the customer and how hot the day is) over the ice cubes directly, and then topping it with the microfoam from out of the freezer and maybe, a grind of nutmeg if they're into it. Creates a gorgeous layered effect.

When we produce our Iced Lattes, we do not steam the milk to foam it, we use cold-foamed milk. This gives the same visual sensation as normal steam foamed milk, however the entire drink is nice and cold for the customer which they seem to prefer as this is one of our best selling drinks. 

We utilize a wand type milk frother to create our cold foamed milk to top the drink with. These frothers do a much better job with 2% or fat free milk , but can be used on whole milk as well.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service