Been to a really cool coffeeshop you didn't know was there, or feel like others should know about? Post 'em. I'll start. My wife sees a doctor at Duke in Durham, NC, and across the street there's a coffeehouse called "Shade Tree Coffee." I had seen it for years, but never went in, until the last time I was there in town. And wow, the young lady behind the bar poured the sweetest latte with rosetta I had seen in a long while. Totally unexpected, but appreciated. Her name is Courtney Satterfield, and an excellent barista. There's a good find to start it off.

Views: 84

Replies to This Discussion

The post was deleted because it contained a tone that was not condusive to constructive discussion, and because I refuse to use bX to make personal attacks and angered discussion. I have more respect than that. If you would like to contact me directly, I have given you the number.

Banks Thomas said:
I have already replied to this once and Jason deleted it.

Yes, Summit and the Drip are CCC accounts. They are both great coffeehouses that I think people would enjoy. I don't think that I am wrong for posting them.

Asheville has a great coffee scene, not just made up of CCC accounts. Larry's Beans, Asheville Roaster, Stone Cup, and many other coffee roasters have accounts in Asheville.

Please Jason don't delete my post again.
I just returned from a two business in Hinesville, GA. It is where Fort Stewart is. Just of Savannah. I found a place there called "Over Coffee". What a great place. Old barn wood decor, exposed beams ceiling. nice sandwiches and off course nice smooth espresso. I was there most mornings. My favorite morning starter is a Caramel Latte Breve'. They made it just perfect. Give it a go.
Okay, now that I am back from Atlanta, let me post a couple of things. First is, to clear things up, Summit Coffee in Davidson is a cool, shop, as is Dripolator, I posted that in an earlier blog about the Asheville scene. And why no, there are other coffee companies represented in Asheville, Counter Culture clearly has the market. Every shop I went to, with the exception of three, had CCC, and with a training center there, I understand why. And again, there's nothing wrong with Counter Culture, I know lots of people there, and highly respect what they do.
I went to Asheville Coffee Roasters, met someone there I met on here, and despite their hours saying they would be open, they clearly weren't, and there was no sign of why or when they might reopen. The Larry's Beans account I knew there is now a CCC account, and as much as I like Stone Cup, I don't recall anyone using it. I would like to move this post forward. Banks did contact me directly, and this was cleared up. I want to hear people's objective opinions about shops they know about through their travels, that everyone may not know about. Like the one Brian mentioned. I didn't know that one was there.
Also, as a sidenote, one of my favorite shops, Shade Tree in Durham, has recently closed. They were a great shop, had some great baristas, and I hate to know they closed. They will sadly be missed. It's sad to know that there will be many more losses in the future, and that means ever more why education for owners and baristas is so important. It is up to the owner to keep his shop open, not his roaster, not his barista. The future's in their hands, and sometimes, like with Shade Tree, even that's not enough. It will really be missed.
I have a coffee house in a rual area and it is vital part of the redevopment of our downtown shopping district. We are twenty minutes north of Greensboro, and just as important as owners education is the education of their customer. All the education in the world won't help the owner if they don't pass it on to the customer so that the customer understands the value of whats in that cup in their hands. Why suporting their local coffee house is important to the local economy and the commmunity. This has been my biggest challenge in my area and one that will take years to accomplish. Just thought I would point out from a owners perspective how important customer education is. Try Krankie's Coffee in Winston-Salem there are very art oreinted and roast there own on site.

Reply by Jason Dominy on September 21, 2008 at 6:27pm
Also, as a sidenote, one of my favorite shops, Shade Tree in Durham, has recently closed. They were a great shop, had some great baristas, and I hate to know they closed. They will sadly be missed. It's sad to know that there will be many more losses in the future, and that means ever more why education for owners and baristas is so important. It is up to the owner to keep his shop open, not his roaster, not his barista. The future's in their hands, and sometimes, like with Shade Tree, even that's not enough. It will really be missed.
Hey David,
I couldn't agree with you more, but it really does start and end with the owner's responsibility. And you're right about Krankies. I was around WS when they first opened up, working for Krispy Kreme Coffee Company, and we visited that shop many times. A good example of a good shop where the owners really drive the quality of the shop. I wish your shop had been there when we lived in that area!

David Glick said:
I have a coffee house in a rual area and it is vital part of the redevopment of our downtown shopping district. We are twenty minutes north of Greensboro, and just as important as owners education is the education of their customer. All the education in the world won't help the owner if they don't pass it on to the customer so that the customer understands the value of whats in that cup in their hands. Why suporting their local coffee house is important to the local economy and the commmunity. This has been my biggest challenge in my area and one that will take years to accomplish. Just thought I would point out from a owners perspective how important customer education is. Try Krankie's Coffee in Winston-Salem there are very art oreinted and roast there own on site.

Reply by Jason Dominy on September 21, 2008 at 6:27pm

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service