One of the things that I bugs me are customers that walk in talking on their cell phone, order while talking on the cell phone, and walk out....still on their cell phone.

What's your irk at work?

Views: 1334

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

another is when they ask where the condiment bar is..... its not like we hide it..... turn your head around..... its the little stupid things over time that get us
wow....i cant believe that steam wands haven't been mentioned....

I HATE when the steam wand is dirty!!! Or if the steam wand rag goes missing and I find it down at the end of the bar with syrup and chocolate powder all over it! My employees are finally coming around though.

I like for the machine and the area around the machine to be shiny and clean.
cell phones dont really bother me...
I was put in a very uncomfortable situation once at my last job. We had a small couch across from two larger chairs with a coffee table in between. This area was kind of secluded, and the only reason to walk past was to reach the restrooms. Because of this, the couch was notorious for being used by couples to discreetly make-out. We had a married couple in their early thirties come in every morning before they went to work. They always sat on the couch and talked and made out, but they were friendly and tipped well so we pretended not to notice. Once he dropped her off at work, he would occasionally return with another woman, and they would make out in the same spot. I always felt terrible when the man and his wife ordered their coffee together, knowing that he was cheating on her. We all felt it wasn't our place to say anything, so we didn't.

Apart from that, I've made a few lattes or cappuccinos for people and watched them walk over to the condiment station and pour half and half into their drink.
Forgot another one that no one has mentioned but I'm sure happens to everyone. Occasionally a person will come up to the register and order a latte and then pay. When I'm on the bar, I listen as customers order so that I can anticipate what I have to do next. I hear them say the words "12 oz latte to go". Then I hand them their drink and they say "Is that soy? Because I ordered soy." I know they didn't order soy. They know they didn't order soy. And the poor guy standing in line behind this person has to wait another two minutes for his coffee. I wouldn't be upset if the person told me they forgot, but their attempt to pass it off as my mistake irks the hell out of me.
Ha....yeah I hate that.

Nathan Lyle Black said:
Forgot another one that no one has mentioned but I'm sure happens to everyone. Occasionally a person will come up to the register and order a latte and then pay. When I'm on the bar, I listen as customers order so that I can anticipate what I have to do next. I hear them say the words "12 oz latte to go". Then I hand them their drink and they say "Is that soy? Because I ordered soy." I know they didn't order soy. They know they didn't order soy. And the poor guy standing in line behind this person has to wait another two minutes for his coffee. I wouldn't be upset if the person told me they forgot, but their attempt to pass it off as my mistake irks the hell out of me.
I'm totally with you on that.

Randy Harrell said:
wow....i cant believe that steam wands haven't been mentioned....

I HATE when the steam wand is dirty!!! Or if the steam wand rag goes missing and I find it down at the end of the bar with syrup and chocolate powder all over it! My employees are finally coming around though.

I like for the machine and the area around the machine to be shiny and clean.
Always good to vent a little.

Here it is.

1. Placing an order while chewing on food, then telling me my espresso tastes like (___). In my head I fill the blank with (TOMATO BASIL QUICHE.... Maybe?!)

2. When asking for a medium coffee to go, they grab the large cup to fill (out of 3 sizes) or ask if this is the medium (pointing at the large).

3. The home barista. "OMG you have the temp set at 201 for Hairbender"?!!? ( With the look of true horror and panic painted on their face).

4. Espresso or Macchiato to go.

5. The speed racer order. I have a couple exceptions to this. a. an auctioneer b. The guy who did all the micro-machines commercials. They are fine, ONLY they can do this!

Ever notice its always the "I'll have a venti-trippleshot-extra hot-half caff-vanilla-hazelnut-blackandwhite-mocha-skinny-with-whipcream" people?

Then when you ask "for here or to go"? They don't know. By the time they figure out where they are and where they are going, any chance that you did keep that order in your head is gone..... Forever.
sunglasses on at the counter

for some reason this really, really bothers me

not sure why
Me too! I thought I was the only one.

Chris/Dale said:
sunglasses on at the counter

for some reason this really, really bothers me

not sure why
We have several ladies who walk in every day that way!

I often dream of having a cellular jamming device that I can push a button and it will make some horrible noise in their phone. I want one for my car too so when I see I driver on phone I push a button on my dash and it scream "Get off the phone and Drive!"
Maybe a T-shirt that says "Thank you for hanging up while you talk to me". Or maybe I'll have my employees just so "NO, its okay I can wait until you finish your call." or "It's okay, I can take the next person's order while you finish you call".

Then she steps up and orders her skinny double shot decaf with 'three Splenda in the bottom' and upsets the barista as much as she did the cashier.

Of course the man that ordered two full meals which we started to fill before he cussed at my barista because we didn't serve Robusta coffee and then stormed out was the worst!
They have to walk right past ours as they come in and they still ask!

Mickael said:
another is when they ask where the condiment bar is..... its not like we hide it..... turn your head around..... its the little stupid things over time that get us

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service