One of the things that I bugs me are customers that walk in talking on their cell phone, order while talking on the cell phone, and walk out....still on their cell phone.

What's your irk at work?

Views: 1234

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Andrew R. Tucker said:
Mike Love said:
Agree!!!

Jay Caragay said:
What irks me at work?

Music- too much attention on listening to your favorite tunes than focusing on the craft
Attention to Detail - like, why don't you actually place the bagel in the bag and fold it for the customer?
Sense of Urgency - the customer is waiting so maintain focus and get the product to the customer.

These are the details (or lack of) that irks me at work. Quite honestly, I don't care if the customer is on the phone.
I have run across the music issue more than once, mainly because we allow laptops behind the bar, and our cd collection is ruined and or sucks, which leads people to distraction from work when choosing music. I have allowed computers behind the bar, but only if a sufficient playlist has been created, or pandora is used instead. These two choices really make a difference in work quality and beverage consistency.
Vanilla Gorilla said:
The thing that still makes me mad no matter what shop I work at is when a customer orders a 20oz mocha then hands back the drink cause they didn't want whip cream on it! That's like ordering a pizza with no cheese!!! Or a weeding cake with no frosting! I mean really. A massive sugar infested drink and you don't want a tiny bit of whip cream. Geez. I'm mad just writing this.

If my cashier has not noted whether the customer wants whip on the cup or drink ticket, I usually wait until the customer gets to the pick-up counter, where I am standing by with the whipper... its easier to add than to take away..
the guys who come in and get half caff coffee and then come back half an hour later and get a refill half caff. why cant they just get one cup regular then switch to decaf. it sucks for me because we dont brew decaf and i have to melitta brew each half cup of coffee.
we do the same thing. So I would mix in the decaf with the caff beans. I tell them that if they want a refill to give me a little heads up.

Johnny Bicycler said:
the guys who come in and get half caff coffee and then come back half an hour later and get a refill half caff. why cant they just get one cup regular then switch to decaf. it sucks for me because we dont brew decaf and i have to melitta brew each half cup of coffee.
Cedric said:
How about how we turn into babysitters when parents leave their kids running around the store.

THANKYOU! I cant believe it took 5 pages before someone bought this up. The cell phone thing i can handle. Our customers will still acknowledge or thank you with a nod at the very least. It is the void parents that think it is acceptable for their children to scream, run around BEHIND the counter, bang on the glass pastry cabinet, glass door & glass windows, tip sugar on the floor with no recourse or acknowledgement that they this isnt actually their kitchen, it is yours. Oh and blocking the door with their strollers. It is generally the lack of comprehension and regard for their responsibilities and respect for others that miffs me. But in the end 90% of the parents that come in are great and make it worth it!

Oh and breastfeeding. I dont need to hear about that while i am pouring a latte.
8oz is our 'regular' size, 12oz is 'large' and 16oz is 'stupidly large' and I insist our customers and staff refer to them as such.

Andrew R. Tucker said:
Talbott Harrison said:
20oz bone dry cap... half caff


Luckily, we offer 8-16oz drinks, the cappuccino only in 8 & 12! Maybe a similar limitation to your menu would alleviate this ?
You are right I have done that myself..........that is so rude really isn't it?! Dawn
People that call ahead for their drink order while we are exceptionaly busy and expect it to be waiting (and HOT) when they walk in the door 5 minutes later. It's not fair to the customers who waited in line to order!

People who order drip coffee, fill it halfway with cream, then complain to me that their coffee isn't hot!
I've experienced a lot of these!

The sugar is a big problem at our location, a lot of MUCH MUCH older people come to our store and there's some sight issues I believe...frustrating but still not a huge deal.

Our espresso machine empties into a big overflow bucket (is this a typical practise?). One night, the girl decided not to empty it. As I worked, the bucket accumulated, and eventually overflowed, right up through to the machine on counter top ...anyways, in shop swimming pool.

People who yell at me about the price. Get real bud. If you want low price shitty coffee, go to Tim Horton's. "4.50? For that?!" :@ "You're the tough guy who got whip cream on your coffee." said the next customer in line. It still hurt my feelings.

"Do you serve normal coffee here?" No ma'am, all our coffee is mutated. (Oh the things that pass through your head)

Bratty kids. kids are meant to be cute. Not bratty. I'm 19 years old but I will fight you.
Bratty kids are the worst! My shop is in a tourist area so we get them ALL - but even worse yet are the parents who pretend that their kids aren't hellians!


Andre Guimond said:
I've experienced a lot of these!

The sugar is a big problem at our location, a lot of MUCH MUCH older people come to our store and there's some sight issues I believe...frustrating but still not a huge deal.

Our espresso machine empties into a big overflow bucket (is this a typical practise?). One night, the girl decided not to empty it. As I worked, the bucket accumulated, and eventually overflowed, right up through to the machine on counter top ...anyways, in shop swimming pool.

People who yell at me about the price. Get real bud. If you want low price shitty coffee, go to Tim Horton's. "4.50? For that?!" :@ "You're the tough guy who got whip cream on your coffee." said the next customer in line. It still hurt my feelings.

"Do you serve normal coffee here?" No ma'am, all our coffee is mutated. (Oh the things that pass through your head)

Bratty kids. kids are meant to be cute. Not bratty. I'm 19 years old but I will fight you.
Some of our customers have actually recruited babysitters from my staff - just the other day actually, someone left her name and number on a post-it for our employee bulletin board!


Thomas Ervin-Ward said:
Cedric said:
How about how we turn into babysitters when parents leave their kids running around the store.

THANKYOU! I cant believe it took 5 pages before someone bought this up. The cell phone thing i can handle. Our customers will still acknowledge or thank you with a nod at the very least. It is the void parents that think it is acceptable for their children to scream, run around BEHIND the counter, bang on the glass pastry cabinet, glass door & glass windows, tip sugar on the floor with no recourse or acknowledgement that they this isnt actually their kitchen, it is yours. Oh and blocking the door with their strollers. It is generally the lack of comprehension and regard for their responsibilities and respect for others that miffs me. But in the end 90% of the parents that come in are great and make it worth it!

Oh and breastfeeding. I dont need to hear about that while i am pouring a latte.
It's not really an irk but I think it's funny when a couple will come to the counter and one will whisper their order to the other one just so the other one can tell me.

It is an irk when someone comes to the counter and asks "Is your coffee good?" Really, what do they expect me to say?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2021   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service