Has a customer asked you a question or say something that was completely out of line? Let us know here. The most common questions and phrases will become an article for my blog.

~Jennifer

Views: 3759

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Ugh the Italy comment I can never get over.. I have a customer who asks for one shot in a 20oz cold cup filled with iced then hot foam poured over, But hey, no biggie, that's how they do it in Italy.

I also like making people caramel macchiatos and watching their faces when I hand them a real macchiato with caramel spooged all over it.

I would 'JUST' like to 'DO' a 20 oz espresso, and an  venti iced  sugar free cappuccino and  a hot caramel macchiato, tall, fat free, no foam.

Joseph Robertson said:

Chris,
I hope you don't sleep in a dirt filled box by day.

I've slept in quite a few odd places by day in my time, but not in a coffin surrounded by my native soils, no. In the back of a truck on a bed made from the bass player for Tina Turner's amps' roadboxes, yes; and once in a road case for a Yamaha PM4K, but not a pine box.

Ken Chappell said:

I have to ask Chris, what DO you do for a living?
Have you ever thought of opening your own shop?

I'm a sound engineer. I've done everything from basement clubs to big sheds, rock, opera, punk, thrash, TeeVee, Film, Theatre; Mariachis, Symphonies, Jazz Cats, Big Bands, Torch singers, whatever.
Along the way I've tended bar, and was the only one that could run the espresso machine. I keep my hand in with pro kit in my kitchen, and while I have the chops to work in a shop, I don't have the sticktuitiveness to open one. Or the capital.

Gretchen said:

I would 'JUST' like to 'DO' a 20 oz espresso, and an  venti iced  sugar free cappuccino and  a hot caramel macchiato, tall, fat free, no foam.

"Sure thing ma'am. That'll be $21.80."

There is a slight upcharge for absurdity.

Most things customers say can be funny or frustrating, but you made a great point. I think we tend to get so caught up that we forget we didn't know much at first either.

John Berkness said:

I've heard my fair share of bs from customers over the years. nothing of which really irks my gears more than hearing people who want the "darkest STONGEST" roast I have. Other than that I'm quite entertained, then again how much did you know before you worked in the industry

the word "Just" followed up by a long complicated order or multiple items, or "do" used in reference to a drink, drive me crazy.

Chris/Dale said:

Gretchen said:

"Sure thing ma'am. That'll be $21.80."

There is a slight upcharge for absurdity.

"EXpresso" is at the very top of my extensive list of pet peeves. This irks me to no end, yet every other person that uses the term thinks that they know EXactly what they are talking about (although our menu states differently).

And while on that same topic, I also get a kick out of the people that order an espresso and look at you like you have three flaming heads when you hand them a single (double/triple) shot in a ceramic demitasse cup. I've actually had people tell me "What is this? I wanted a cup of EXpresso" (all the while pointing to a 20oz. paper cup).  WOW!

In Cleveland Ohio we are still fighting for market share with starbucks dunkin dounuts and now Mcdonalds It is rare when someone comes in and orders a espresso and does not think it comes in a paper cup that said customer ordered a "grande Capp" which in cleaveland means (gas station sweet milk drink) I asked what do you mean by gande we dont speak starbucks here was told he is from Italy for my information! I can only hope for the day all customer want only the best in the mean time I must make a living so just made a large 20oz 4 shot gas station (capp)

We offer to rinse out our regular's cups, for the same reason: really don't want them to drink our coffee with their old sludge. 
In addition, we give a 10% discount for when they use their own. 
We don't have expensive to go cups, but a little kindness goes a long way. 

Jason Campbell said:
I give my regs a price break on coffee when they bring in a mug as it cuts down on the cost of my expensive compostable cups. If they are ordering an espresso drink, heck....ill even heat the cup up for em. side note- this only happens once in a blue moon but my regs are cool people.

Jennifer Vaaler said:
This would be worth rinsing out the cup in this case.

Ron Ingber said:
I always offer to rinse out customers' travel mugs. Otherwise, my fabulous coffee will taste like s**t after being mixed with whatever is left in the bottom of the mug.
Also, the savings in not providing paper cups & lids helps.

Ron, the Country Guy

A favorite in our shop is the "your expresso drinks are too strong"... everyone else in town does 1 oz. espresso shots. Our menu clearly states, and we explain that we make our drinks with double shots.

Most folks appreciate what we do, but sometimes the taste of coffee in a drink MADE WITH COFFEE as its most important component is just too overwhelming.

There's a McD and D&D nearby that better fits the desires of those customers. We don't suggest that to them, but sometimes it does seem like the best thing to do.

So, one of the first lessons learned as a young barista

"NEVER POUR ESPRESSO DIRECTLY ONTO ICE"

for reasons that, as a barista now, are obvious, but to the oblivious customers are not.  The reasoning is as follows: Espresso poured directly onto ice shocks the espresso, leaving your drink damaged, acidic and burnt tasting.  

In the real barista world, its a huge "NO-NO"

Unless not doing it would make a customer unhappy...which is how my story begins

"I need six shots of espresso!" <Flinn (alias name)

"O, well, do you know that our standard shot is a double shot so..." Me

(Flinn interrupting)

"Yes, that's good.  I need six of those shots and I need you to put it with ice and six shot of hazelnut"

(me slightly flabbergasted)

"Um, OK.  Do you mean an with cold water and ice?  Like our iced Americano?" Me

"No.  No water, can't have the espresso diluted" Flinn

"Well, when the espresso..." Me

(Flinn interrupting again)

"O, I used to be a barista for a long time..." Flinn

(Flinn keeps talking as I'm pulling shots about his longtime career of being a 'barista')

"So, you want me to put the espresso onto the ice?"  Me

"Yup, hit me up.  Don't forget the hazelnut"  Flinn

(insides screaming at me I pour the espresso over the ice and add the hazelnut)

"Here."  Me (I can't even be excited about this drink)

(Flinn takes sip)

"Perfect.  Yup, you're a good barista too..." Flinn

(Flinn walks out)

"Gross."  Me.

We can probably guess where he was as a "barista".

The debate about espresso getting "shocked" is still strong. I personally just try to have a customer try our cold brew and even have them compare it side by side to an iced Americano. So far they prefer the cold brew.

Unfortunately, people like what they like in the end.

Delian Jayce said:

So, one of the first lessons learned as a young barista

"NEVER POUR ESPRESSO DIRECTLY ONTO ICE"

for reasons that, as a barista now, are obvious, but to the oblivious customers are not.  The reasoning is as follows: Espresso poured directly onto ice shocks the espresso, leaving your drink damaged, acidic and burnt tasting.  

In the real barista world, its a huge "NO-NO"

Unless not doing it would make a customer unhappy...which is how my story begins

"I need six shots of espresso!" <Flinn (alias name)

"O, well, do you know that our standard shot is a double shot so..." Me

(Flinn interrupting)

"Yes, that's good.  I need six of those shots and I need you to put it with ice and six shot of hazelnut"

(me slightly flabbergasted)

"Um, OK.  Do you mean an with cold water and ice?  Like our iced Americano?" Me

"No.  No water, can't have the espresso diluted" Flinn

"Well, when the espresso..." Me

(Flinn interrupting again)

"O, I used to be a barista for a long time..." Flinn

(Flinn keeps talking as I'm pulling shots about his longtime career of being a 'barista')

"So, you want me to put the espresso onto the ice?"  Me

"Yup, hit me up.  Don't forget the hazelnut"  Flinn

(insides screaming at me I pour the espresso over the ice and add the hazelnut)

"Here."  Me (I can't even be excited about this drink)

(Flinn takes sip)

"Perfect.  Yup, you're a good barista too..." Flinn

(Flinn walks out)

"Gross."  Me.

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service