In the spirit of Jennifer's terrific thread on Things Not to Say to a Barista, I'd like to turn the eye of judgment back on ourselves, and discuss things that we should never have said to our customers.

This happened to me three years ago, while I was working at the 'Bux. It haunts me to this day:

The Worst Thing I've Ever Said

Good grief. I'm lucky my pants weren't sued off. So what have you all said to customers that you immediately (or not-so-immediately) regretted?

Views: 274

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was having a funny day and was just doing office-y things in the back when I came out to the front to grab a coffee and dropped a cup, I jokingly (and loudly) said "Oh F--k my life!" and didn't see the woman waiting for a drink by the bar.... Whoops, immediately apologized and ran to the back to laugh it off.

Ok -I have to share this here - Even though we are on the POS side of it - customer service is customer service:

One of my sales reps a year or so ago.  He was leaving a message for someone that was looking at our POS and ended the call with:  Love you - Bye.  We have never stopped razzing him about that.  The customer never returned a call either :(

The first incidence I thought of (out of many) was actually of my co-worker rather my slip up:

Me: (speaking to a regular who came to the bar) "Hey man, how goes it?"

Customer: "Hi, good, you?"

Me: "Doin well...your usual?" (He nods)

Co-worker: "Oh his drink is on me! He got into his masters program today!"

Me: "Oh dude, hey, congrats!" (He nods thank you)

Co-worker: "So yeah, just consider it like a celebatory drink."

(Pause)

Me: (Turning to the customer) "You're celibate?"

Customer: "What...wait...what? No."

Me: "I dunno dude, she's claiming that you're celibate...don't ya just hate rumors?"

Co-worker: "No no no I meant uh...um cele-BRA-tory!!"

(Pause)

Me: (Turning to customer again) "You wear bras dude?"

All in all we figured out what was being said and it was funny...but I kept telling him after this that the powers of celibacy were what kept him coming back.

Haha, great video, you're a funny guy Nathanael.

Happy Holidays & Christmas Cheers,

Chase.

haha great video Nathanial. I appreciate the flip side to my discussion.

It's a great reminder to watch what we say and to phrase things more carefully.

Mine are more along the lines of watching how I phrase things. Besides that, I remember saying "eww" out loud on accident to a customers order or rolling my eyes when someone ordered a bux drink.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service