Hello everyone! Our store is looking to get some different chai besides the standard, below average oregon chai. We used to have My Chai which was fantastic but extremely expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions for a more middle of the road brand that is good? Thanks!

Views: 1966

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I want to clarify.... Were you using My Chai, inc. from Bend, Or? Or some other my chai, or maya chai?
It's not that hard to make. Google it and find something you like in the way of a recipe. Fun to experiment. Time allowing that is. Now making Chai that really tastes good or as good as Mike's who posted earler might take some pratice.
no, we're using oregon chai. we used to use my chai before that...

Ty Paluska said:
I'll have to look into this Big Train Chai...I actually placed an order for a couple different kinds from Third Street Chai in Colorado so i'll have to let you know how they are! I should be getting them today or tomorrow.
I personally use Big Train Spiced Chai at my shop and people love it. It is a powder. We mix it with milk and it's really delicious. If you are at all in or around the Bellingham/ Seattle area, my most favorite chai is Harmony Chai brewed by Holly Dennis on Orcas Island. She distributes around and just came out with a loose tea, brewable at your shop I bet. Good luck!
Dragonfly Chai !
I've tried several different things from making my own to, concentrates like monin, and Rishi. I found that there's always someone that just loves whatever chai you use. Monin was the easiest to use. I haven't tried the Sattwa but sounds delicious. I really like the Rishi chai since some people just love the tea without the milk. Rishi has both a brewed concentrate and different loose leaf chais. Good luck on your search.
TIGER chai or dragonfly the best chais!
if you are really into offering your customers a healthier choice - serve a certified organic chai, there are plenty of them out there... the term "natural' just means that no preservatives or artificial colors were added - it says nothing about the use of pesticides in the ingredients . Certified Organic products are made without pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, etc and are regulated to ensure that the tough standards are met. And that's better for the environment and better for your customers!
Amongst friends, I've heard more than one person express the desire for multiple flavors of chai including vanilla, something with a bit more spice, etc.

I believe there is a greater market for spice lattes and the like than discussed here, and I'm surprised there aren't more discussions about the different types, preparation, and the other nuances that factor into a quality product.
I would recommend Bhakti Chai. They have sweetened, unsweetened and decaf.

We use their unsweetened chai in our shop and our customers seem to enjoy it. It is a bit spicy so we do have a sweeter creamier chai by mocafe that is also really good. Hope this helps
Blend your own. We have had amazing response from people, they think we a re so sweet to be blending our own Chai and it is pretty easy. The big problem we have is getting the chai to go through the coffee filter. It is a pain, but I will never go back.

One more way to differentiate!
Mike, Can you give me a lead on where you got your strainers? We brew our own chai and the the hard part for us is filtering through the tea.

thanks

miKe mcKoffee aka Mike McGinness said:
I've tried a number of commerical chai's that target the coffeehouse market including Sattwa and was never satisfied. So especially since you manage a "coffee and tea" shop, ought to be blending your own chai. Then brew your own concentrate. That way both the blend and sweetness level is exactly what you want. My chai blend is comprised of Assam and Darjeeling single estate India teas and 9 spices (no powdered spices all whole or chopped). Brew for 1/2gal concentrate using 100gr chai blend, 56gr honey, 114g dark cane sugar, just off boil water. Infused 30min. Strained through coarse SS strainer then Swissgold. Blending and brewing your own chai concentrate does indeed take more time and work, which is true of most things highest quality.

Don't ask my specific ingredients/ratios, it is indeed a trade secret since in addition to roasted coffee I wholesale my chai blend.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service