There are 3 people who have to agree with the name of the coffee buisness and all 3 personalities differ drastically. We have the free spirited hippie (thats me) my husband who is OCD about everything and a computer nerd, then there is the doctor's wife, very prim and proper and elequent. She liked "Cool Beans", That name was over used. Gary likes Big Shots, but that is used, then I liked the Blue Rabbit because of the blue ridge mountains in which the shop resides, Gary liked it but obviously the Dr. wife hated it. I truly want something soulful. We will be serving lettuce wraps and torta wraps with soups and such. The vibe of the shope will be on the ting of blues and jazz. We will be roasting our own beans eventually. We will be big in to community and art and healthy living. We are located in Christiansburg, VA on Roanoke road. We are between Radford college and Virginia Tech. Please give suggestions if you like...I know this is probably not the right venue to be asking this questions, but you guys know coffee and you know coffee house names and we really need to settle this issue so we can start on signage and such. If you just happen to have a name settling in the back of your mind unused...
dd

Views: 4569

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Quite frankly, Cool Beans and Big Shots are horribly cliched and terrible names. I would be embarrassed to own a shop with either name.

Blue Rabbit isn't great (it's not horrific like the others) but you'll probably have some recognition problems with Blue Bunny Ice Cream.

Do you know the clientele you wish to attract? Perhaps a name marketed to that crowd might be best.
If someone heard your names would they know you were a coffee shop? If I think of Cool Beans it makes me think of a shop that sells trinkets and stuff. Big Shots sounds kind of snobbish and The Blue Rabbit reminds me of Rabbit food.

What about something like Blue Ridge Coffee Company or Blue Ridge Cafe. It sounds more upscale to me.

My shop is called Forbidden Flavours, anyone from out of the area would have no idea that we are a coffee and ice cream shop. Unless they saw the signs. Its a franchise so we could not pick our own name.

I hope this helps. Just be careful because partnerships are difficult. Good luck

i hope
ok, i think, (even though it doesn't reference the blue ridge mts), "black rabbit" is a sweet name.

but i own a place with a name that jay would totally be embarrassed by....
We are new to Virginia so really knowing the people has yet to be aquired. We are next door to a weight clinic thus the healthy foods. There are two Colleges and a Medical hospital. The residential dwellers range from 25-60. I would say we are setting the bar for a 3rd wave coffee shop here in VA and that is exciting, but not with a horrific name...ha I totally agree with the cool beans and big shots, and I did think of the whole ice cream thing. Like I said we are desparate. Another issue of course is Trade Marketing conflicts and web-sites. Really, I loved Brewed Behavior, but after going to Coffee Fest I saw that name was out. Really anything brewed, or grounds, cup, java...it is all on over kill. I liked Fresh Pot...but I guess I would really have to know my cliental to pull that name off. haha

Jay Caragay said:
Quite frankly, Cool Beans and Big Shots are horribly cliched and terrible names. I would be embarrassed to own a shop with either name.

Blue Rabbit isn't great (it's not horrific like the others) but you'll probably have some recognition problems with Blue Bunny Ice Cream.

Do you know the clientele you wish to attract? Perhaps a name marketed to that crowd might be best.
I like the sound of Blue Ridge Coffee company, but so does every other buisness in the area. There is a Blue Ridge grill and the trade market issue with that name is great, I don't want to get sued and have the expense of changing everything.

Ryan jacobson said:
If someone heard your names would they know you were a coffee shop? If I think of Cool Beans it makes me think of a shop that sells trinkets and stuff. Big Shots sounds kind of snobbish and The Blue Rabbit reminds me of Rabbit food.

What about something like Blue Ridge Coffee Company or Blue Ridge Cafe. It sounds more upscale to me.

My shop is called Forbidden Flavours, anyone from out of the area would have no idea that we are a coffee and ice cream shop. Unless they saw the signs. Its a franchise so we could not pick our own name.

I hope this helps. Just be careful because partnerships are difficult. Good luck

i hope
Don't know your State, in Washington it's a simple matter of checking whether a name is available online. If the business name"Blue Ridge Coffee" isn't already used highly doubt there'd be a conflict with Blue Ridge Grill or Blue Ridge Grocer or Blue Ridge whatever. It's the name of the mountain range... Are the mountains suing anybody for using their name!? If in doubt check with a local business attorney.
ok i see you live by the mountians I always liked "Sacred grounds". I think that is how it is spelled..
I would go with something that describes the unique partnership you have. Something like "Three Blue Cats" and use the 3BC in a logo or "Three cool cats" and then tie the inside together with unique areas of the shop you each design using similar key design components.

You all sound so great in your own way I would love to know how you all got into business together.
What about Roanoke Road Cafe or Roanoke Road Coffee House???
Hi dd,
Blue Rabbit is just perfect (and you and Gary are two against one;-).
At the end of the day the name is not really that important for the success of the business. What does starbucks have to do with coffee? What about Gloria Jeans? Illy?

D&D? Los Tres amigos? The Three Little Indians? Sargent Bean? Torta Café? The Doctor's Wife coffee shop? Prim Bean? Alface Café? (alface=lettuce in portuguese)
Blue Brew Coffee Company

Syncopation's

Blue Mornings
Before I even read any of the responses, I thought of Blue Ridge Cafe. Of course, you could incorporate the blues theme by using a something like Blues Ridge (insert coffee reference here). Just stay away from anything that sounds like it should be on "Friends" and any reference to VT's hokie mascot.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service