Your thoughts on the growing popularity of the Flat White? To jump on the bandwagon or no? How much different is the flat white from a traditional 6oz cappuccino w/ Italian style foam (small portion of micro-foam on the 2 shots and steamed milk)?

Views: 914

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

when i was in australia a flat white was just a no-foam latte. single 8 oz. double 12 oz.
Hey Brian. Every cafe...and I mean EVERY cafe in NZ and Australia, has the Flatty as its standard EBD. The Flatwhite's popularity began (some say) in Australia, but I think us Kiwis take the kudos for its invention. The story goes something like this... in the beginning one of NZ's first specialty coffee roasters put in an order for ceramic cups from ACF in Italy. The Italians use CC and us kiwis use ml. There was some confusion in the order and the first shipment duly arrived- 160ml cups. These were too small for cappuccino so the inventive Kiwi decided to make up a name for a very milky drink (with a razor thin layer of foam on top)- thus the flatwhite, or Flatty cam einto being. The drink was so popular that it spread accross the Tasman Sea, then onto London and now, seemingly, to our brothers in the USA.
Very interesting... And since the story begins with, "in the beginning," it must be true. Seriously though, thanks. Is it a must-have drink now?

Alun Evans said:
Hey Brian. Every cafe...and I mean EVERY cafe in NZ and Australia, has the Flatty as its standard EBD. The Flatwhite's popularity began (some say) in Australia, but I think us Kiwis take the kudos for its invention. The story goes something like this... in the beginning one of NZ's first specialty coffee roasters put in an order for ceramic cups from ACF in Italy. The Italians use CC and us kiwis use ml. There was some confusion in the order and the first shipment duly arrived- 160ml cups. These were too small for cappuccino so the inventive Kiwi decided to make up a name for a very milky drink (with a razor thin layer of foam on top)- thus the flatwhite, or Flatty cam einto being. The drink was so popular that it spread accross the Tasman Sea, then onto London and now, seemingly, to our brothers in the USA.
hi
I live in Japan, in February 2010 we will start a barista course on making flat whites. We did a 10 day food tour to Australia this year with a group of 10 Japanese chefs, everyday we had flat whites, they enjoyed so much and want to make in their cafes.
I will be using the new Otto espresso (www.ottoespresso.com) to teach home based stove top techniques to Japanese.
Haha, indeed! As there has been total silence on this debate by my Australian counterparts I assume this is consent to the "In the beginning.." explanation! Normally our big bro's 'cross the ditch are pretty keen to claim kiwi icons and kiwi inventions as their own - ie: Pavalova, Phar Lap, Keith Urban, Crowded House, Fred Hollows, "the Piano"... even Russel Crowe ;p

Brian Thayer said:
Very interesting... And since the story begins with, "in the beginning," it must be true. Seriously though, thanks. Is it a must-have drink now?

Alun Evans said:
Hey Brian. Every cafe...and I mean EVERY cafe in NZ and Australia, has the Flatty as its standard EBD. The Flatwhite's popularity began (some say) in Australia, but I think us Kiwis take the kudos for its invention. The story goes something like this... in the beginning one of NZ's first specialty coffee roasters put in an order for ceramic cups from ACF in Italy. The Italians use CC and us kiwis use ml. There was some confusion in the order and the first shipment duly arrived- 160ml cups. These were too small for cappuccino so the inventive Kiwi decided to make up a name for a very milky drink (with a razor thin layer of foam on top)- thus the flatwhite, or Flatty cam einto being. The drink was so popular that it spread accross the Tasman Sea, then onto London and now, seemingly, to our brothers in the USA.
Out of curiousity, do shop owners commonly put this on the menu as an additional item or rely on customers to request a "Flatty"?

One could argue that the removal of the milk foam makes it as unique as the latte is from the cappuccino. Would you agree with this?
This past summer we created an "international menu" that includes Japanese Iced Coffee (pour-over style, iced), Greek Frappe (hand shaken, no powder), Classic Italian Cappucino (6oz cups), and Australian Flat White (8oz cups).

It was a big hit but I must say that my Ozzie friend laughed and told me yes, they're popular down under but even he doesn't see what the attraction is in going without such a nice layer of creamy foam.

Sweet marketing...........
That sounds like a great idea. How are you making the frappe sans powder? Espresso?

jonathan bonchak said:
This past summer we created an "international menu" that includes Japanese Iced Coffee (pour-over style, iced), Greek Frappe (hand shaken, no powder), Classic Italian Cappucino (6oz cups), and Australian Flat White (8oz cups).

It was a big hit but I must say that my Ozzie friend laughed and told me yes, they're popular down under but even he doesn't see what the attraction is in going without such a nice layer of creamy foam.

Sweet marketing...........
Just had this post from Andrew Hetzel on Facebook - Starbucks in the UK has "adopted" the flat white concept.
http://www.caterersearch.com/Articles/2009/12/09/331317/starbuck-ad...
Yeah, I heard that as well early last week. Here's my post on the subject:
http://espressovein.blogspot.com/2009/12/flat-out-doubtful.html

Mike Spence said:
Just had this post from Andrew Hetzel on Facebook - Starbucks in the UK has "adopted" the flat white concept.
http://www.caterersearch.com/Articles/2009/12/09/331317/starbuck-ad...
What the F***... from Jim Sevens blog...an 11oz flatwhite? Reading the earlier Sbux plans was bad enough, this is sacraliage http://www.jimseven.com/2009/12/04/branded-chains-and-the-flat-white/
Hmm, I'm not an expert, but as an Aussie living overseas, I really miss the creaminess of a Flat White. Lattes just aren't the same. Until I become a professional barista, maybe I won't be able to tell you why, but the Aussie Flat White is just so well balanced. It's not weak and milky, it tastes like real coffee, and the mouthfeel is so velvety. Mmmmm... Flat White...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2020   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service