Generally speaking decaf costs more. I've contemplated a decaf price uplift but haven't implemented it yet. Most shops charge an uplift for alternative milks like Soy, how 'bout decaf?

Views: 928

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We really do have to start charging for our products based on what our true costs are, so I would say yes. Caribou does it. That means that we all should be charging a realistic price for our coffees based on what they cost individually, even if it means they all have different prices. All bottles of wine do not cost the same. I think you're going to see more and more people charging based on the actual cost, and I think it's good as we move away from coffee as people have known it for so long, to more of a culinary product, still accessible to all.
yes! I hope you are right.

Jason Dominy said:
We really do have to start charging for our products based on what our true costs are, so I would say yes. Caribou does it. That means that we all should be charging a realistic price for our coffees based on what they cost individually, even if it means they all have different prices. All bottles of wine do not cost the same. I think you're going to see more and more people charging based on the actual cost, and I think it's good as we move away from coffee as people have known it for so long, to more of a culinary product, still accessible to all.
Interesting topic here as well as the responses. Story time:
We have a customer that comes into the shop every morning for a cup of decaf from us, so regular that we have the cup waiting on him as he walks in if the morning allows. One morning he came in, after a couple of years of the daily decaf routine, and as we are about to pour his cup, he stops us and says he would rather a cup of regular today.....total mental screwball. Curiosity was wailing on the door, so I asked him why he'd changed randomly. He said that he normally brewed our coffee first thing in the morning at the house. He then said, the only reason he ever came in to get the decaf was because it was simply delicious.
You said you banished airpots and did exclusive pour over methods, if I have read correctly. It think your idea is awesome, especially since you are your own roaster, again if I read correctly, and individually brew! you have basically produced a literal "coffee bar", much like a something like 22 draught brewery. Individual pricing can increase customer interest and boost local coffee knowledge giving you a leg up on many other local competitors. I love The "Uplift" idea. Good luck man, I hope it works out.
p.s. I realize I'm reiterating some of the already stated things here, but encouragement is always nice. give it a go, and Brady's idea was nice, get a lesser decaf bean as well, i mean why not open a whole decaf side something like 4-5 decafs, educating the public on decaf as well.
FWIW implementing two-bit decaf Uplift tomorrow. New Coffee Bar Menu attached (I think!) Leaving the "House Coffee" choice to me will help manage inventory brewing them what needs to be brewed most so it doesn't go stale and die. Before implementing the new 25cent category all coffees in that category were "House Coffee" price. If they didn't specify we'd just ask do your prefer a medium or bit darker bolder roast and then if medium brew what needed to be used. But if darker bolder they'd always get my Vienna Gloriette Blend. Now if the want Vienna it'll cost a quarter more, which happens to be one of my big sellers so will know right quickly if too much resistance. So this won't just be decaf getting new uplift but adjusting overall to costs. Not just initial cost of the coffee but the costs involved in individually brewing each cup and maintaining an always fresh wide selection.
Attachments:
I think it's great and ties in well with what you are doing. The only suggestion I would make is to make it abundantly clear that decaf is 25 cents more rather than just including it on the menu. You don't want the customer to feel misled. If the customer knows ahead of time it is more, they will understand it is special. If they find out after they order, they may feel suckered. Just my 2 cents uplift.
Good point. One change I'll make immediately is move decaf to the top of the Uplift list on the menu. When it comes to listing coffee choices, I always seem to put decaf last as an after thought! Ok, so I don't really respect the stuff, even though know it's a necessary evil. Evil as in while there are relatively good decafs, even those are never as good as the original before torturing the poor defenseless beans:-)

The Barista Formerly Known As JavaJ said:
I think it's great and ties in well with what you are doing. The only suggestion I would make is to make it abundantly clear that decaf is 25 cents more rather than just including it on the menu. You don't want the customer to feel misled. If the customer knows ahead of time it is more, they will understand it is special. If they find out after they order, they may feel suckered. Just my 2 cents uplift.
Mike,

Your flawless logic for an up charge seems straightforward and at first blush might make sense.
But consider that Decaf sales probably represent about three percent of overall.

Here's the thing, typically Decaf drinkers are in my opinion somewhat more loyal
Coffee crowd because (1) they drink decaf because they really like coffee, and (2) really
Good decaf is hard to find. These are discerning coffee customers and as a rule it is unheard of
To charge more for decaf. I've never seen it at the retail level where coffee is sold by the cup.

Take care of your Decaffers and they will take care of you. We get a lot of compliments on our
Decaf and all the little ol' ladies that serve it to their little ol' lady friends who are also Decaffers
Talk it up bigtime!

Don't run em off for for a quarter! Ask them, if they really like your decaf to tell a friend
And offer them a freebie to speed the word. Sell more coffee, not less.

I predict that if you upcharge your decaf you will lose customers.
They might even think it discriminatory and offensive. Do you want them telling this
To their friends?

With Decaf sales such a small portion of the overall, ask yourself,
"Is it really worth it?"

"Brew Unto Others"

David
Just a fun one to throw into this :)

What about this http://tinyurl.com/mdrks8

What if we did away with the processes that decaffeinate coffees, and just grew it that way. That would cut down on some cost. Obviously this is a process and a change that will have to take place over time in (a.k.a. this can't happen over just the next 5 years). What if we as an industry worked towards the cultivating of coffee, again. Just an grandiose thought, but a fun one none the less. :)
we do charge decaf for a third more than a normal espresso price....
No offense intended Mike, but I took a look at your PDF menu and it's straining on the eyes to read. Maybe you could use different fonts for the text - something a little less bold and easier to read. I opened the file and just didn't bother to read because it was too harsh.
Hey, Mike... did you do it yet? If so, how has it gone?
Brady said:
Hey, Mike... did you do it yet? If so, how has it gone?

Three weeks today and virtually nary a ripple. A few queries here and there at first, but very little if any serious grumbling and nothing serious. People understood when explained decaf simply costs more.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service