I have learned so much from this site and Im so happy that people that have been in the coffee industry for such a long time will help us who want to learn more.

Ok on to the question.
Im trying to figure out the perfect way to pull Ristretto shots. I know that the grind should be finner. As well as the extraction time should be longer. But thats all I know. Please help me so I can make some delicious shots.

Thanks in advance-Chantelle

Views: 714

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

With the coffee I pull, it automatically is pulled ristretto. Which is really just a short pull, or 1oz. instead of 1.5 oz. The way i get a consistent ristretto shot is to make sure i have more coffee in my portafilter. The easiest way to get this is by giving a couple of taps after you have filled it from your doser. After you grind your coffee to the top or your basket, leave in under the doser and just give two swift, steady light taps, top it off with a small mound of grounds, do your swipes back and forth on-top(5 or so, always keep it the same number for consistency.) Tamp, tap tap tamp(the second tamp press can be a little deeper than the first) and pull your shot at the same time you normally would for the coffee you are using, just pull it shorter. adjust your grind as needed to keep your shots a marbled deep red and gold and thick with crema. I hope this helps some. Consistency is so helpful in this, so every tap, tamp, swipe and the way you dose is very important to getting just the right amount of crema, flavor and color. Always keep it the same and it makes it a lot easier!
I just adjust the grind. I try not to mess with things too much.
Theoretically, I up-dose very slightly at the same grind setting to get a 1 to 1.5 oz double in 30 sec. I don't do these often though, and don't drink many so am not even sure what I'd be looking for. My usual shot is a "normale" - 1.5 to 2 oz double in 25-30 sec.
you make it sound so easy. Now Im pumped to try at work

Rebecca Johnston said:
With the coffee I pull, it automatically is pulled ristretto. Which is really just a short pull, or 1oz. instead of 1.5 oz. The way i get a consistent ristretto shot is to make sure i have more coffee in my portafilter. The easiest way to get this is by giving a couple of taps after you have filled it from your doser. After you grind your coffee to the top or your basket, leave in under the doser and just give two swift, steady light taps, top it off with a small mound of grounds, do your swipes back and forth on-top(5 or so, always keep it the same number for consistency.) Tamp, tap tap tamp(the second tamp press can be a little deeper than the first) and pull your shot at the same time you normally would for the coffee you are using, just pull it shorter. adjust your grind as needed to keep your shots a marbled deep red and gold and thick with crema. I hope this helps some. Consistency is so helpful in this, so every tap, tamp, swipe and the way you dose is very important to getting just the right amount of crema, flavor and color. Always keep it the same and it makes it a lot easier!
another way to pull the perfect ristretto is to watch the extraction (yes i know its a little time consuming!!) As the shot is pouring you'll notice a deep rich golden colour, and about 18 seconds(1oz) in this colour begins to lighten. At this change you have the perfect ristretto and a few seconds more extraction gives you your espresso.
Hey Chantelle, I have to say that this word has so many translations. In my experiences I like to run a 3/4 oz shot of coffee for about 27 to 30 seconds for ristrettos. This really is dependent upon your roast or caramelization levels. You may do less for lighter roasts. I really can't stand the super short ristrettos that don't really tap into the depth of flavors locked deep in the grinds, but to each their own right?.
Theoretically You have to adjust the grinder more fine than for espresso,pull out 7 gram dose,and for about 18-23 seconds you have to get half a shot of espresso.That's Perfect Ristretto!!!
Well our Roasters (Ethical Bean) Blend our espresso quite light. I don't really pefer this roast. But I still will drink it. I did try Rebbecca's way and it seemed to work very good for me. I would take the 2nd step and ajust the grind, but how our cafe is set up we don't have the time to do all this properly.
Its really fun. All tour buses that go up to the rocky mountains come to The Blue Moose and order drinks. I guess you could say that summer time is quite buzy. Lines out the door and Euopeans telling me that this is there first good espresso in Canada. It really makes my day. So I still want to learn more about Ristretto's. And feel confident in what I serve.
Sarah Dooley said:
Hey Chantelle, I have to say that this word has so many translations. In my experiences I like to run a 3/4 oz shot of coffee for about 27 to 30 seconds for ristrettos. This really is dependent upon your roast or caramelization levels. You may do less for lighter roasts. I really can't stand the super short ristrettos that don't really tap into the depth of flavors locked deep in the grinds, but to each their own right?.
"Ristretto" is not easily defined with a list of "rules".

Ristretto is just a "restricted" shot of espresso. This restriction can be interpreted many ways, and even then, the methods will differ, even within a single interpretation.

A practical way to read the above is to realize that every coffee requires a unique set of brew parameters. Knowledge and understanding of these parameters, as well as the coffee itself, should dictate which interpretation and which method within that interpretation will work best.

If we are new to experimentation with brew parameters, the only way to find out what works best is to taste, taste, taste. Try new things. Taste. Try something else. Taste. First-hand empirical experimentation is invaluable for the developing barista.

You've seen others suggest dosing more coffee to slow the extraction. Others tighten the grind. Still, others rely on visual cues alone. Be precise with your dosing and distribution. Keep a consistently level tamp. Adjust all other variables, and see what you come up with. There is no one right answer, however, there are several wrong answers. If you're tasting each result, you should have no trouble deciphering between them.

Happy pulling.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service