i needed some venting time... let me preface with the fact that i'm still in the learning circle when it comes to latte art. so, when i pull off a sweet rosetta (by my standard) i get pretty stoked, only to be crushed by the following events. the guy who ordered saw the art but didn't care enough to acknowledge it, (that doesn't bother me so much) and then he goes and puts a crap load of splenda in it!!! Making sure to stir it good so its to his tastey delight... i suppose thats what its about, satisfying a customer... cest la vie...
i apologize, i just felt the need to share my pain with the coffee world via bx, and hope that it soothed the hurt in my heart.

Views: 116

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It happens. There is always a pang of hurt, but it totally happens everyday. I got myself over it by pouring latte art into EVERYTHING whether it be for here or to go or a simple hot chocolate. This way it doesn't feel as bad that people don't notice or care.
Dude, I finally pulled off the best lookin, extra symetrical triple rosetta the other day... the lady goes "oh, how sweet!" and dumps 4 splendas in the thing, stirrin it all to shit. Oh man, I almost bawled my eyes out.
But really, you have to take it with a grain of salt. Because you know there's always that one customer that will not "mess it up", and appreciate it (and some actually take pictures!!), and that will make it all worth it.
Its the very nature of the art. I like to think of it as some kind of zen exercise. You know at the outset that your beautiful work of art will be instantly destroyed. Clearing your mind and allowing you to focus on the next drink. And the next and the next. I kind of like it.
word phillip
the best advise i can give to this is a lesson i learned and live from yoga class. "Make something beautiful and offer it to the world" Its not about getting recognition and props (though they do tickle the ego and make you feel good) Its about being able to offer the best you've got and letting it go. As a barista we are the last stop on a long complex journey from crop to cup what better way to show your appreciation to the process than to make the best drink possible. After that its out of your hands.
I remember the day I saw my first sweet heart latte art in a cup, I didn't know if I should drink it. I'm now going into this business and I love it. I to am still learning to make that great latte art sweet heart. I just started working for Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf I'll sneak a latte art when ever I can... one thing I started doing and let me know what you think of this... I ask the customer if they want a sweeter in their espresso, then I'll add the milk... how does that sound to everyone.
I'm going with what mike said, about making something beautiful and offering it to the world. If they want to put sweetner in it, then they're more than welcome, but I must say that latte's made with killer spro and awesome milk are sweet enough on their own. They shouldn't taste like a soda

For Now said:
I remember the day I saw my first sweet heart latte art in a cup, I didn't know if I should drink it. I'm now going into this business and I love it. I to am still learning to make that great latte art sweet heart. I just started working for Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf I'll sneak a latte art when ever I can... one thing I started doing and let me know what you think of this... I ask the customer if they want a sweeter in their espresso, then I'll add the milk... how does that sound to everyone.
latte art is really for the barista. the customer that notices or cares is relatively rare. i think it is fun & interesting in and of itself.
I think what looks better tends to also taste better. i think its more of a subliminal, subconscious experience.

Drew Woods said:
latte art is really for the barista. the customer that notices or cares is relatively rare. i think it is fun & interesting in and of itself.
Mine are hardly ever noticed either. It doesn't bother me, I just appreciate the practice. When someone does comment though, it feels great.
I feel your pain! The best rosetta I ever did was on a non-fat latte, (go figure) and just as I finished it off, the customer goes "Oh, no foam on mine." I literally had to take a spoon and scrape off my beautiful art, my achievement that took so many hours of work and practice, and dump it into the sink. It was painful, but I've made better art since then. Plus I have a really good horror story to share ;)
humility is good for the sole (or soal?) i feel your pain as well. lol, but its kinda funny. gotta have a sense of humor right.

Sarah said:
I feel your pain! The best rosetta I ever did was on a non-fat latte, (go figure) and just as I finished it off, the customer goes "Oh, no foam on mine." I literally had to take a spoon and scrape off my beautiful art, my achievement that took so many hours of work and practice, and dump it into the sink. It was painful, but I've made better art since then. Plus I have a really good horror story to share ;)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2021   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service