So, I was getting ready for my cupping last week, and each month I feature a curveball coffee, one that I haven't had, and one that's easily accessible to the public, usually a mass market coffee. This past time I happened to be in Target, and thought, "Hey, we'll cup this one." It was a Reserve Roast, Costa Rica Estate La Violeta. First look at is was that it definitely was not roasted on the milder side as noted on the bag. Second was the amount of oil on the beans, which I am not used to seeing on a Costa. Third, was you could definitely tell it was old by the smell.
But, sure enough, cupped it, and it was the least favorite. I didn't taste any of the things noted on the bag. Anyone know who roasts their coffee for them?

Views: 29

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jason,
I read up on your little roaster search and found it to be a more mystifying endeavor than I had assumed. It would seem that Archer Farms has a subsidiary in the "pacific northwest" that roasts for them. There was a bit of hullabaloo about their coffee as you probably saw at SCAA due to their primary sponsorship of the event. However, I am under the impression that their branding is much more significant than what is in the cup. On a separate note, I was wandering around in a Crate & Barrel once, checking out cups and possible Barista Competition water pitchers when I stumbled upon their coffee selection, roasted by Intelligentsia. I was honestly shocked. Go figure
I believe all of the Archer Farms Coffee is roasted by Coffee Bean International here in Portland, Or. Head Roaster is Paul Thorton.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service