okay, so i've hit a wall... the rookie is back with more questions, this time on a more practicle end... i don't know how many videos i have watched on latte art via youtube and still my rosettas are a cross between feathers, weeds, and artichokes! its embarrassing really... so after much deliberation i have come to the conclusion that there must be a magic word that each barista knows and says while pouring there milk to create such well defined master pieces. can i get in on the secret?
in all serisousness, can anyone point me in the right direction? tips and tricks, i have the time and drive to go with it, i just need HELP!

thanks much
-rookie d

Views: 58

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

LOL... let me know that word when you find out bro!
a. slow down your wrists. believe me.
b. maybe start with insane "hearts" then work up to rosettas?
c. my magic word is "boom!" I pretty much say it EVERY TIME. which is why no one at work enjoys working with me.
c. my magic word is "boom!" I pretty much say it EVERY TIME. which is why no one at work enjoys working with me.
Is that a spin off of Emeril's 'BAM'?
well, I used to say "give it to me", but i got to many weird looks about that.
everytime i get discouraged or stuck in a rut i usually stop pouring art. i just poor and watch as the white lifts up out of the crema for a few drinks maybe even a day. then as i start getting the feel for that i will pour hearts, simple solid ones... then hard hearts, ... eventually the rosettas start forcing themselves onto the cups. .. . like reverse psychology
so "booms" the word... thanks for all your input, lets try it out... keep it coming though
-rookie d
the magic word is practice!

also, take your time, if they're coming out wispy it may be because you're going too fast, also make sure that you allow enough air into your milk- if there's not enough, it'll come out all thin and you won't get a nice rosetta.
I don't know if you have been working with tipping your cup and pouring your milk into the spot where the crema is very shallow up against the wall of the cup....this will make the milk bounce back to the surface faster. You must make sure to right the cup back to level as the drink becomes more and more full.

Also, the closer your pitcher is to the actual crema, with a faster pour, will result with milk more quickly grabbing and art happening more defined.

Keep it up. FYI, I don't even train my barista's to pour latte art. I work with their milk consistency. After a while they have become comfortable enough with the milk and pouring sequence that one day I look over and they are throwing hearts, and sometimes rosettas. Yes, you can coach latte art but the truth is that nothing looks worse than a drink with screwed up latte art. I tell my barista's not to worry about the art until they are comfortable enough with the concepts and the art almost just starts happening.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service