I'm a coffeehouse owner in Reno, NV and have a quick question with possibly not-so-simple of an answer for anyone willing to give me some feedback in regards to a barista jam here in Reno. The specialty coffee scene is nowhere near as prominent as it is in Portland, Seattle, L.A., San Fran, Sacramento... you name it. I feel that a nice gathering of knowledgeable, passionate barista from Sac and the Bay Area together with the few of us here in Reno could help spark some interest and help educate other baristas and consumers. Any interest or ideas/feedback from those of you who may have experience putting something like this together? If there was to be an event like this here in Reno, how many of you would make the trip?
Thanks
Joey Trujillo

Views: 102

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hey joey,
I would be totally down to do a jam up in Reno. Lemme call all the cats I know and see if we can hook somethin up.
... we can gamble there, right?
That's great man. Please let me know what you think will need to be done. I have a general idea of the haps at a jam, but I've never actually been to one. Shoot me an email so we can talk more.
And yes you can gamble.
Im with Ben on this, Reno... Why not? If you see benji there ill be there. Word.
I wanna come, can I come? Sounds like fun Joey, are you looking for informal or formal? I would love to make a trip out there... give me some idea of dates and what you might need help with. Send me an email.
By the way, if there's anybody you need to talk to, its Mama Kill.
One word: The Business.
Please keep me posted on when you're doing this. I'd love to join in!
Joey, I'd be down for comin to Reno and could possibly bring some other Ritual cats or bay area fellas. Also coffee, I'm sure we'd be down for that. Anyways I've put together other jams in the past so if you need with planning let me know.
I know there hasn't been much on this subject in a while now... but it's gonna happen sometime. Hope everyone will be just as willing to come kick it in the 'no when it's finally goin down.
I'm sure some of my krew can make it over to Reno from Roseville. We've thrown a few mini barista jams our way, but I don't remember Benza making it. That's okay, it's not like I introduced him to Third Wave coffee or anything when he worked for us. It's cool dawg.

There were no coffeegeeks in Roseville when we started. We educated our customers one at a time. Reach out to other shops. They are your comrades in arms, and can help spread the word about your shop. Unless they are right across the way from you, most shop owners will not consider you competition. Some will, but just ignore them. It doesn't matter.

Make sure you invite all the kids from Starbucks and Peet's too. I have found that at least one kid at every store loves coffee, and will tell all his real coffee drinking customers about you when his boss isn't looking. We had 2 Starbucks managers, a shift and like 4 "baristas" at our first jam.

Be sure to plan at least a month in advance. I suggest flyers. The turnout we had at the R. Miguel tasting was much better than the previous events, and I believe a large part of that was the nice fliers we made. And invite the press. A startup shop needs all the publicity it can get, especially in this downturn.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service