Hey folks,I'm from a coffee shop up in Vancouver, BC, which you probably already know is hosting the 2010 Winter Games in a couple of weeks. Our store is hosting an Olympic torch, and the building…Continue
If you are a barista or shop, are you interested in a barista exchange with another coffee shop/barista?
Tell us more about your coffee shop or barista skills.
At my coffee shop, I've been trained with the knowledge of fundamental barista techniques:
- grinding, dosing, and tamping
- milk steaming (w/ thermometer)
- basic espresso machine maintenance (automatic models)
- beverage preparation: the majority of North American-style drinks, including caffé lattes, cappuccini, and Americanos (including variations based on customization)
On my own, I've been learning, trying out, and practising new techniques to advance my skills, including:
- grinding, dosing, levelling, tamping
- milk steaming (gauging temperature by hand)
- latte art: hearts, rosettas, etching
- preparation of more traditional-sized drinks, such as the espresso macchiatto and 6oz cappuccino with aforementioned latte art
- an introduction to cupping
I'm always on the lookout for more training opportunities; I'm definitely interested in developing skills that meet the professional standards of the SCAA/WBC.
What cities or countries are you interested in traveling to?
- Chicago (Intelligentsia, anyone?)
- New York
- Australia & New Zealand
- Costa Rica (been there, but would love to return)
- Ethiopia (it's like a coffee lover's version of a pilgrimage to Mecca)
- Finland (home of one of my favourite bands)
- Malaysia & Singapore (the motherland-ish!)
- United Kingdom & Ireland
Hey there! I'm (mostly) Chinese-Canadian, born and raised in my hometown of Vancouver. I'm a third-year undergraduate student at the University of British Columbia, where I'm majoring in animal biology, with a minor in English language.
While I'm in sciences for the long run, coffee is still a very passionate hobby of mine.
What is your favorite thing about the coffee industry?
The passion that the baristas bring to their trade.
Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!