What is your favorite thing about the coffee industry?
The unity in the industry. I feel as if the coffee industry is different than other industries as we all work together to provide the best product we can to the end-consumer. If you all help each other make a better product, the end-consumer will be satisfied with the beverage creation overall, expanding the coffee market, therefore expanding the profits for everyone involved in the industry.
Thanks for asking about what books most influenced me when I just began to learn about coffee. Today, one can find many, many, books that feature espresso. You can find them in most new or used book stores. So, I will omit those and list those about coffee that that most influenced me in my first three years of selling coffee.
Here are a few book titles that have helped me in my learning process.
1) Coffee: A guide to buying, brewing and enjoying- By Kennith Davids
2) The Complete Book of Coffee: By Harry Rolnick (Melitta)
3) All About Coffee: By William Ukers
4) The Book of Coffee: By Francesco & Ricardo Illy (Dr. Ernesto Illy)
5) The Penny Universities-A History of the Coffee Houses: By Aytoun Ellis
6) The Book of Coffee & Tea: By Karl Schapira, David & Joel
7) Brown Gold: By Andres Uribe
8) Coffee: A Connoisseur's Companion-By Claudia Roden
9) The Coffee Companion: By Jon Thorn
10) Brazil, The Amazons & The Coast: By Herbert Smith
Their were scores of other books, videos, CD's and written articles from which I have learned. There were many discussions with roast masters, business owners and well educated baristas that proved invaluable.
I would like to say that Bellisimo has a fine selection of DVD's on coffee and espresso that provide education and enthusiasm to your quest for knowledge. Much success to you my friend!
Come on by and we can talk - show you what we have done. I work most Satruday afternoons (will not be there this weekend 7-4) and weekday mornings except Wednesday. Feel free to send an e-mail - do you have it? Not sure how this stuff works.
Well nice to know that you came to visit us at something's brewing and you liked the place. Yes, I just move to kalamazoo from Holland, so not to far. I'm going to have to visit you at chocola-tea and please do stop by again and introduec yourself, it would be nice to meet someone else from the industry.
Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!