Who grinder you think that it is better for a coffee shop that it has big needs (about 10kg of espresso per day) and it works at order? The simplest answer would be conical but I believe that flat has better result in the cup. Who you think that it is advisable and why?

Views: 362

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

I, personally, prefer the Mazzers. The Super Jolly is one of the best out there hands down. I also like some of the new conicals out there, like the Compak, but the Mazzers an all-star.
Jason Dominy said:
I, personally, prefer the Mazzers. The Super Jolly is one of the best out there hands down. I also like some of the new conicals out there, like the Compak, but the Mazzers an all-star.
I think the SJ is a tad on the small side. I have one myself, and I love it, but if I were concerned about volume, I'd go for at least a Major, and probably a Robur.
I love me some Mazzers but, once you go Major... man it's rough going back to the Super Jolly... not only with time and temperature (smaller burrs get the grounds hot, and it takes 8-12 seconds per shot...) but I also have a difficult time getting perfect extractions with the Super. I'm not saying I can't, but it takes a lot more focus. I usually find the clumping with the Super Jolly results in an uneven distribution of fines when I settle the grounds... I'm not a champion barista or anything though...

The Major clumps and sputters a lot too, but it's sooooo much faster and slightly more consistent with grind distribution... they're both messy, that's for sure. I like grinding before I dose because it eliminates more waste, plus adding one of those shoot things to the dosing chamber really helps.

And a Robur, well I love the Robur, but it heats up pretty fast when working on the line. Well, they all do in a rush I suppose. I really love how quiet it is though.

I gotta say though, I'm pretty content with the MDXA from Nuova Simonelli... it's not fast (12sec), it's nothing special, but it doses pretty evenly with consistent results and has far less waste/spillage and clumping compared to the Mazzers. My only very very slight complaint is how close the resting prongs are to the dosing chamber... and maybe all the plastic parts... but for the price, it's absolutely worth it.

At our cafe, we also have an anfim on bar, which does wonders for speed... just watch out for the heat, once again... using a timer on grinding is soooo helpful in a rush, it really gives you an extra 10-30 seconds per drink. Plus you're always consistent with almost ZERO waste, and perfect distribution. Really an amazing tool... but we've already begun to beat it up at our shop... over-heating the motor, and nearly demolished the doser... (teach your baristas to love and care for their tools!!!)

I guess it all comes down to your commitment to your machines. I love a good grinder, but it's kind of the fun of the job learning how to perfect a system for whatever you have. Price is usually what it all comes down to... and well, everything is made of plastic more and more... caress and love your grinder, which ever you choose.
I haven't used the Major, but have heard great things.

Monica Rae Hill said:
I love me some Mazzers but, once you go Major... man it's rough going back to the Super Jolly... not only with time and temperature (smaller burrs get the grounds hot, and it takes 8-12 seconds per shot...) but I also have a difficult time getting perfect extractions with the Super. I'm not saying I can't, but it takes a lot more focus. I usually find the clumping with the Super Jolly results in an uneven distribution of fines when I settle the grounds... I'm not a champion barista or anything though... to quote Baca from maybe 5years ago...

The Major clumps and sputters a lot too, but it's soo much faster and slightly more consistent with grind distribution... they're both messy, that's for sure. I like grinding before I dose because it eliminates more waste, plus adding one of those shoot things to the dosing chamber really helps.

And a Robur, well I love the Robur, but it heats up pretty fast when working on the line. Well, they all do in a rush I suppose. I really love how quiet it is though.

I gotta say though, I'm pretty content with the MDXA from Nuova Simonelli... it's not fast (12sec), it's nothing special, but it doses pretty evenly with consistent results and has far less waste/spillage and clumping compared to the Mazzers. My only very very slight complaint is how close the resting prongs are to the dosing chamber... and maybe all the plastic parts... but for the price, it's absolutely worth it.

At our cafe, we also have an anfim on bar, which does wonders for speed... just watch out for the heat, once again... using a timer on grinding is soooo helpful in a rush, it really gives you an extra 10-30 seconds per drink. Plus you're always consistent with almost ZERO waste, and perfect distribution. Reallly an amazing tool... but we've already beaten it up at our shop... over-heating the motor, and nearly demolished the plastic doser...

I guess it all comes down to your commitment to your machines. I love a good grinder, but it's kind of the fun of the job learning how to perfect a system for whatever you have. Price is usually what it all comes down to... and well everything is made of plastic more and more... caress and love your grinder, which ever you choose.
Oh, I am NOT a fan of the MDXA.

I have overheated them multiple times during rushes. (to the point that they would not function until left to cool)

They are simply NOT equipped to handle the volume of a busy cafe in the morning.

That's been my experience. I have never had that issue with the Super Jolly, however, it does tend to generate heat more rapidly than the Major.

From what I understand, the newer Roburs have an auger that helps speed up the grind time via improved feeding to the burrs. More efficient grinding means less heat build-up. I am not as familiar with them, but there has to be a reason they are all over the place in busy high end cafes.
Hi.

I have tried alot of grinders. N.Simonelli, flat and chonical. Mhalköning. Mazzer. Compak. Anfim etc...

and i have to say that you have to think of quantity and quality.

Mahlköning are great for super high volume shops. fast and pretty iif it does not get to hot inside the shop.

Simonelli grinders are ok but not superb.

Mazzer are great. i personlay dont like the flip flop sound they make. but in general they are Great.

Anfim is the one i love. maybe because it is so precise on the timer and has the dosing chamber too.

Compak i have never liked, just not good at adjusting.

but rock bottom you need to take the grinder you like and test it with diffrent types of blades. e.g. i tried the Malkhöning with 3 diffrent type´s of blades. they had diffrent cuts and diffrent steel in them. and that made a huge diffrence for us.

so there is no magic solution to this. just take your grinder work with it and find out how you can get the best coffee out of it.
dont think that the grinder makes the best grind.... it is in the hands of the Barista.
Njall B...
I can agree more with the last one you said.
Great comments from everyone! Good call Jason, I haven't had the MDXA on bar in years, we use it in training classes, which has a very little volume compared to our bar. Love what everyone has to say though... I <3 bX!
I like the Mazzer grinders. I use a Mizzer Mini, I like the timer so I don't over fill the doser.
I make a test with the Mini Mazzer and is very manageable but when we talking about temperature maybe is getting too hot, in too sort time (after three or four continuing dose).
Is this notice by you or is just my thought?
I haven't noticed. My mini is for home use and I grind only what I need. At work, We have a bigger Mazzer. I think it is a Luiggi, and it grinds more per minute. I read once somewhere not to grind more than 5 times in an hour. The grinder at work gets hot from too much use when busy
The only one that I have had experience with right now is the Super Jolly, and have been satisfied thus far with the exception of the casting of the grind each time, depending on how quickly you are pulling; a little on the wasteful side.

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service