So, many shops talks about how to disperse tips that come in during the day. While this is something we have to deal with at times, our main problem is actually getting the tip. I think this is something unique that coffee caterers - and other catering companies - have to deal with.

I have heard of several different ways people go about this:

1. Adding gratuity to the invoice to begin with
2. Putting out a tip jar
3. Not requiring payment until after the event
4. etc...

I know this is probably has much to do with the way you bill your clients - by the cup, in advance by the hour, etc - but how do you handle it so that you actually get your baristas the tips they deserve?

Views: 54

Replies to This Discussion

I make it easy, I just keep it all myself!!!! :-)
Just a thought.
The reason most folks have a catering service is that they want to look good to their guests and have one invoice for all product delivered. I would suggest that you have a clear understanding with your folks that "" All costs are covered by Mr. Bigbux and no gratuities are accepted"" And, that they pass this on to the attendees!
Obviously, before quoting, you have figured out what your PBTC / Barista would make for tips if working in a shop at that time of the week. Then, pay them that amount per hour + including set up and tear down time.
Your business will get wide acclaim and future gigs for not letting your help give the invitees a feeling that someone is " too cheap to pay well !!"
I use this for my gigs also..But, I am the PBTC! And paid after the gig.
JMTOTM
my 1¢
Richard
PS. I worked as a "sous chef" for a country club and they farmed me out on catering gigs. I can still remember the look on rich folks faces when i told them all gratuities are included in their bill. I often got a an envelope from the club management with a serious bit of change in it!
I Second RP, funny thing is once you get a "name" people tip you even if you don't have a tip jar. Events,are great because it' easier to get name going for yourself, I have often time received more when I didn't ask or have a tip jar, main thing is make sure you CYOA.Business is Business, most people I serve tip well just because of the enthusiasm I have behind my work...If I'm paying a barista to work for me, it's about 60/40 tips and hourly, if we are Partners then 50/50..I feel that for me every situation is different, so it's important for me to maintain flexibility, some Large Companies can't offer that, and that's when the lil taco dog eats the Big Dog food...

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service