Hi there, I'm new to the forum but have been roasting on my Diedrich IR3 floor mount for 7yrs.  It's time to step up & into a bigger roaster.  I was naturally thinking of another Diedrich but a Royal #5 has come my way. 

Has anyone worked on both?  I know there is a big difference between the two but it all comes down to the taste.  Is there a big taste difference?  The fancy Diedrich is all I know. The roaster would come with the owner for a couple of day to help set up & show me how to use the Royal.  Any advice on this would be super helpful.  I need to make a decision pretty quick.

Thanks,

Paula.

Views: 1340

Replies to This Discussion

Paula,

Can you describe the Royal? Like is it IR or direct flame? I use a Probat 5L and have not yet had the chance to roast on a Dietrich. I did get to inspect a 12 kilo IR Dietrich the other day. Nice Roaster.

What is the vintage of your Royal?

Joseph Robertson

Sasquatch Coffee Roasters

Http://www.jolindas.com

 

Joseph,

It's a vintage Royal #5.  I believe the flame is direct & the drum is perforated, compared to the IR & chaff collector. 

Paula.

Joseph Robertson said:

Paula,

Can you describe the Royal? Like is it IR or direct flame? I use a Probat 5L and have not yet had the chance to roast on a Dietrich. I did get to inspect a 12 kilo IR Dietrich the other day. Nice Roaster.

What is the vintage of your Royal?

Joseph Robertson

Sasquatch Coffee Roasters

Http://www.jolindas.com

 

Paula, Are you ready to sell your IR3? I'm interested. Let me know by e-mailing me at Wendellds@zoominternet.net

Thanks, Wendell

Hey Wendell, I'm not selling it yet but I'll keep you in the loop.  Do you live in Canada?

Paula.



Paula Phelps said:

Hey Wendell, I'm not selling it yet but I'll keep you in the loop.  Do you live in Canada?

Paula.

I live in Ohio, what is your location? Did you get your replacement yet? I'm attending CoffeeFest this weekend in Chicago.

I live in Canada & I'll post it when I'd like to sell it.  Have a great time at coffee fest.

Paula.

Thanks Paula, A direct e-mail will work too, I do not always check these posts often.

Wendell

I have a Royal #5 in mint condition with all the original parts.  Willing to travel to teach roasting and barista workshops.  I am familiar with all other roasters and able to install and repair old and new roasters as well as set up roasting & packaging equipment.  Roasting on my #5 in Hawaii since 1984 and these roasters out preform any other roaster ever made (my opinion).  I have roasted on Probat, Fluid Bed Sivets, Diedrich and Royals.  With a little understanding you can create a roast profile that will improve on almost any grade and quality of coffee with a Royal #5.  Just sold our shop (www.konabrotherscoffee.com) and am considering selling the Royal #5.  Currently traveling to visit family and consulting on the mainland. Wish you well with your Royal.  A direct reply e-mail is O.K. as this is the first time I have visited this site. Paul Nangle

Paul,


Thank you for your incite and experience with this machine and topic. I will be in the market for a larger roaster soon, 15kilo or bigger, and will be looking at all makes. Currently roasting with a Probat.

Joe

Paul Nangle said:

I have a Royal #5 in mint condition with all the original parts.  Willing to travel to teach roasting and barista workshops.  I am familiar with all other roasters and able to install and repair old and new roasters as well as set up roasting & packaging equipment.  Roasting on my #5 in Hawaii since 1984 and these roasters out preform any other roaster ever made (my opinion).  I have roasted on Probat, Fluid Bed Sivets, Diedrich and Royals.  With a little understanding you can create a roast profile that will improve on almost any grade and quality of coffee with a Royal #5.  Just sold our shop (www.konabrotherscoffee.com) and am considering selling the Royal #5.  Currently traveling to visit family and consulting on the mainland. Wish you well with your Royal.  A direct reply e-mail is O.K. as this is the first time I have visited this site. Paul Nangle

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2019   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service