I recently purchased an electric roaster (first mistake) from Faema Distributeur in Montreal. within 3 weeks it broke (element burnt). I contacted Faema (Montreal), and was told it wasn't their problem. I asked for my money back, the owner said no! They admitted that it is broken and that it cannot be fixed. I have spoken to a lawyer...expensive option! I am now out $9000.00 (no roaster, no money, no coffee)

I really would like to exert some pressure to:

1) maybe convince him to give me my money back
2)stop this from happening to someone else

Anybody have any ideas?

Views: 33

Replies to This Discussion

I am sorry to hear of your disappointment. I hope you to an understanding with them. I appreciate you mentioning this as i was going to visit them in montreal to inquire abut a Balestra roaster...thanks for the Heads up...oh..just a word to the wise there are 2 Faema Distribution in Canada
I have a dumb question but why is not repairable. From my little bit of work roaster nothing is not repairable if you want to fix but this can get expense also. Are you just talking about the heating elements went south? Post what happen as you may find that it is not fixable email me when I get back form Africa in feb.
teramo said:
I am sorry to hear of your disappointment. I hope you to an understanding with them. I appreciate you mentioning this as i was going to visit them in montreal to inquire abut a Balestra roaster...thanks for the Heads up...oh..just a word to the wise there are 2 Faema Distribution in Canada

Yes that is right, there are 2 Faema Stores, The one I dealt with is located in Montreal. Unfortunately since thge original email muuch has happened, and it seems that this roaster was just not designed properly in the first place. The elements work for a short period of time then break. In an attempt to get it going I have since had new elements made and installed them but the problem seems to be that the roaster just doesn't have the heat energy needed to bring the beans to completion in a timely manner, it only does a fraction of what it was sold to do. The owner refuses to show any understanding, changing his story every time. Numerous attempts at coming to a compromise have failed. Unfortunately the laws here make him the winner. To sue will cost $5,000 and only receiving the initial price not including lawyer fees. To take to small claims he can only be sued for $7,000....but the courts are quite backed up so it would be in excess of a year. As it sits now, luckily I have access to a full machine shop (family owned) and I am going to design a new roaster...most likely a fluidized bed design. So in all of this.......my advice is: test the roaster several times, get a written warrenty, get references of others who have bought the same model, and good luck
BBB to start. The web is a cool tool that people make purchases, "or not" based on professional referrals, If you get what I am saying. So you could start there, and at least if nothing other than you keeping this from happening to other people it will have been 9k well spent, and a lesson learned. Albeit a very expensive lesson however a lot of good can come from it.

best
B

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service