Does Anyone know where I can find and purchase Ceramic Burrs for the Robur?

Views: 73

Replies to This Discussion

Also does anyone have any experience with using them? Pros and Cons
I've never heard of such a thing. But such a thing would be great!
right now the only company I've heard of using them is Saeco, but it will no doubt spread to other makers, maybe there's will fit other grinders, if specs are the same etc...do post here if you find another source, I've read they are very quite, and conduct no heat to the bean while grinding...
course right after I posted that I found this> BURRS
We have used ceramic burrs at two of our stores, they seem to last a lot longer for the grinder we use there. I like them in comparison to what we used to use.... I have to change them out a lot less often. We still take everything apart down to the burr regularly and do a deep clean. That seems to extend the life and resiliance of the burr as well as consistancy in extraction.
Hmmmm, None that I'm aware of. I think that Titanium coating is going to be as close as you can get for wear rating. There are a few other coatings that work as well, but much more costly. Interesting thought though.
Are they conical burrs or flat burrs? And were did you find them if they are conical Burrs?
Pretty sure you're gonna have some problems getting some of those, if you know what's involved in producing them.
I'm purely going by the availability of regular ceramic flat burrs, and not to mention price.
I use the 3phase 83 mm. robur and I'm thinking of just keeping a spare set around and attempt to have my old once resharpened.
I don't think the ceramic are sharper then a steel set, but might keep a sharper edge for a longer time, IMO.
geir oglend
Geir is right.

Conical burrs in ceramic are like unicorns, and even if they did exist, they would be of no use. The burrs that is.................... Unicorns can be used for all kinds of things.

I challenge the challenge however by asking the profound question, Why? Why would you want ceramic conical burrs.

If you say heat, then let's examine the cause.

Is the heat caused by the burrs or simply the action of the coffee being ground. Let's grind some frozen coffee and then compare it to "hot" ground coffee. Is there a difference in taste? If so then we have a valid project to consider, but not with ceramic burrs. Glycol cooling of the burr carrier and the passage to the doser are culprit. If we do away with the tiny passage that would be a start.

Ceramic is a great insulator, and heat transfer is not one of it's strengths. Heck I'm up for trying anything around four times, so let's see what is really happening with this idea...........
Ceramic burrs don't seem like a very good idea to me. It seems that a nail in the hopper would pretty much decimate the thing. Doesn't happen often but it certainly is a risk. As for heat, the problem is that once the blades become even the slightest bit dulled there's an increase in friction. Increased friction caused by a dulled cutting surface = heat. serious heat. Heat in the grinder chamber pretty much kills espresso. Think about how leaving grounds in the PF for as little as ten seconds before you start your extraction can effect the taste of a shot. Ti seems like a better choice. According to Anfim (they have a conical burr Ti model) the Ti coated burrs stay sharp up to 3 times longer. Sharper = less heat. I love the Robur but it really does have a serious heat problem, Ti could be the answer. ESI! help we want Ti burrs. I'd def buy a set for my SJ and my Major too.
My experience with ceramic burrs begins and ends with the Swift. And Ken hit the nail on the head (pun intended) about the risk of foreign objects in the hopper. I've seen a grinder go down because of a nail and stay down until a set of new burrs arrived (of course they didn't have a spare set of ceramic burrs) Also, I agree with Geir that they are definitely duller than steel or Titanium.

BTW, Terry, my personal favorite use of a unicorn is the Trapper Keeper cover.

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service