I'm located in Iowa and looking for gourmet muffins and scones to sell but having problems finding a distributor. Any ideas?

Views: 2514

Replies to This Discussion

You might try contacting SweetStreet and Dawn Food Products to see if they have distributors in your area. We buy muffin batter from Dawn foods and a variety of products, including cinnamon (bake-off) scones from SweetStreet. You might also try contacting some of the major food distributors in your area like Sysco, Food Services of America, Nichols, etc.

Good luck!
Why not work with a local baker?
Hello - we are a small coffee house in Virginia that started out six months ago baking EVERYTHING from scratch. Once I realized that there weren't enough hours in the day or enough payroll dollars to hire a real baker, I went to my supplier and found an awesome line of Pilsbury frozen dough products. They are what is refered to as place and bake and are that simple. The scones are incredible, and since you bake them in your place they can be labeled 'fresh baked'. Another plus is the aroma. You can go to Pilsbury's website and find a distributor and get some samples to try. I also work with a local baker who supplies me already finished pastries. We worked out a wholesale deal that includes a reciprocal plug of each other's businesses.
We've found a small local boutique style bakery who's going to sell us her products not necessarily wholesale pricing but rather, she charges what it costs her to make the items we've selected. We'll be getting weekly deliveries, all frozen. We bake in our shop every morning.

Simple, cost effective and customers appreciate it. and, the best it's local!
We have no local bakery or anyone who would deliver and I'm working the shop solo, so couldn't drive for baked goods and haven't got space (or time!) for cooking on premises. I purchase most food products from Sysco. They offer an assorted scone dough made by Pillsbury - my customers love them. Especially the White Chocolate Raspberry. We also serve the Pepperidge Muffins. Ideally, I'd like to offer fresh-made products (when I can afford to outfit a warehouse space with a kitchen), but for now all I need is an oven to bake the scones and the smell helps them sell.
We also sell the Pillsbury scones from Sysco plus all natural oatmeal based and Weight Watcher approved cookies that pretty much have a cult-like following - from a local bakery. We tried cheesecake from another local source - but that did not go over well at all.
Our best-selling dessert that we purchase from Sysco is the Chocolate Madness cake. It's a two-person piece of cake. We tell customers that and they all say we don't know how much they like chocolate, but most come back defeated and say they had to share it.
For those using Pillsbury frozen scones, are you able to purchase an unassorted case? I can only get the assortment from Sysco & I have customers waiting for me to sell out on the other flavors before I can order another assorted case that has more White Chocolate Raspberry.

Thanks!
As far as I know you cannot get just the White Chocolate Raspberry. I did ask our Sysco rep and was told that the scones only come in the assorted. We bake equal amounts of the three variety to start each day and usually sell out of all flavors by the end of the day. We do keep two cases on-hand though - as the local high school is known to order 90 at a time without much notice - plus if we do have a run on one variety - we can always dip into the second case ...
That's amazing! If I sold that many scones, I'd stock 2 cases as well. I might sell 2 per day. How do you do that?!

Dan Dean said:
As far as I know you cannot get just the White Chocolate Raspberry. I did ask our Sysco rep and was told that the scones only come in the assorted. We bake equal amounts of the three variety to start each day and usually sell out of all flavors by the end of the day. We do keep two cases on-hand though - as the local high school is known to order 90 at a time without much notice - plus if we do have a run on one variety - we can always dip into the second case ...
We have had plenty of days where we sell just a couple - it was kind of weird - we increased the price by 25 cents last spring and sales jumped pretty dramatically - not sure if it was a coincedence or what ... we sell a dozen or more most days now - but certainly not every day - we still get those days that are just dogs ... The high school is very good to us - they used to get doughnuts for inservice days - but now go with our scones and coffee. We do provide free coffee to the athletic boosters to sell at the varsity football games ...
I can get the White Chocolate Raspberry from my Martin Bros. Rep as well as Chocolate Chip but I have to special order them and that takes an additional week. So I keep it on a rotating schedule so that I always have them. I bake the chocolate chip ones around afternoon time so that when the kids come in after school it smells like chocolate chip cookies.... that gets em everytime!

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service