After watching a few competitions again and again, including the WBCs that are on the zacharyzachary.com site, I have a few questions. One is, what's the deal with the milk pitchers. Pouring one into the other and back and forth. It seems it would be hard to get enough good mixture of milk and froth to make four capps.
The other question is, is there a specific size your signature has to be. Also, what are the rules about using natural flavorings that may or may not come in bottles? I know you can't use vanilla extract, but what are the other rules related to using natural flavors? Thanks, this element is very new to me.

Views: 24

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Jason

As far as the milk pitchers go, the competitors pour back and forth as a way to try to equally distribute the froth. And I know for many, including myself, it find it to be easier to pour a capp when I have just the right portion (a little more milk than the size of the mug) in my pitcher. And if you take note, most competitors steam for two drinks at a time.

Here is the rules for the MRBC. On page 7, section 2.1.3 they go over the regulations of the signature drink. For the most part I think the rules are consistent from region to region. I think the main issue with the vanilla extract is that it probably has alcohol in it. Hope this helps.

http://www.scaa.org/pdfs/news/2008_MRBC_Competitor_Rules_And_Regula...
Nice. Thanks for the help Ryan!
Just a thought on sizes for your sig drinks - in the UK our score sheets are as per WBC and the defining characteristic of the drink has to be the coffee with your other ingredients either adding new flavours to complement the profile or using other ingredients to magnify/reinforce or reduce/correct the flavours inherent in the blend you're using. To maintain the strong espresso flavour I believe you need to keep total drink volume below 6oz - i'm working on 2-3oz's but having a nightmare finding interesting crockery for that size!!!

Jim Hoffmann posted an article on coffeegeek.com that I found helpful

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service