Has a customer asked you a question or say something that was completely out of line? Let us know here. The most common questions and phrases will become an article for my blog.

~Jennifer

Views: 3759

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

gotta really really fine-tune your palate, eh? :)

Mike McGinness said:
I have to say this is a bit scary, you actually know the difference in how fresh versus rancid body parts taste?!?
:)

Bethany Warren said:
Cupping notes on the instant "coffee" samples he left: complex, stale; notes of hot dogs, rancid body parts
I feel you on allot of those. It is so frustrating and it seems like there is a new stupid question invented every week and they send memos to each other thinking "lets go to all the coffee shops that do things right and just F@$# with them". My personal least-favorite is "no foam on my latte please". It crushes my souls each time.

Mitch Buckner - Bella Caffe said:
I've had plenty of customers tell me how to make things. Its like "Well at least you know what to do because I sure havent been able to figure it out in the last 15 years!" I once had a customer tell me as I handed her a Latte "Uh..Lattes come with Whipped Cream" I also get alot of people asking for half cappuccino half hot chocolate (I assume they are used to buying their cappuccinos from gas stations) so I just make them a mocha & they love it. I've also had a ton (I mean a ton) of people say "Oh, I dont want a cappuccino because it has too much sugar in it...give me a vanilla latte instead" I love that one. Or just simply the people that order a cappuccino & then complain that its not sweet. I also once had someone argue all day with me about how to pronounce robusto (He said something like Rubostu) He doesnt even drink coffee, he just heard it on TV & insisted I didnt know what I was talking about. But the best was when the Caramel Macchiato got big I would have people just order a Macchiato & I would make them a Macchiato. Which of course they would then tell me was wrong. Oh yeah, and the people that order an espresso & then asks where the rest of it is. I always say "I cant compete with stupid nor can you fix stupid."

Finch said:
"I would like a French Vanilla Cappuccino; like what you get at uh Pilot over there."

You know, I kinda like hearing that one. Their bar is so low, but you know exactly what they are looking for. You can hand them a vanilla latte and know that its just going to blow their mind.
I've heard my fair share of bs from customers over the years. nothing of which really irks my gears more than hearing people who want the "darkest STONGEST" roast I have. Other than that I'm quite entertained, then again how much did you know before you worked in the industry
oh, and i hate when peop;le say, I'll take a black coffee... ... oh could you add some hazxelnut to that.

John Berkness said:
I've heard my fair share of bs from customers over the years. nothing of which really irks my gears more than hearing people who want the "darkest STONGEST" roast I have. Other than that I'm quite entertained, then again how much did you know before you worked in the industry

Mike McGinness said:
I have to say this is a bit scary, you actually know the difference in how fresh versus rancid body parts taste?!?

Easy, the fresh ones have that copper taste form the fresh blood. After a coupla days, that gets a bit more like aluminum foil.
(I know, but it's actually true...)
"Alright buddy...stick em up!"

Yeah that would be tops in my book...
Chris,
I hope you don't sleep in a dirt filled box by day.

Chris said:

Mike McGinness said:

Easy, the fresh ones have that copper taste form the fresh blood. After a coupla days, that gets a bit more like aluminum foil.
(I know, but it's actually true...)
I have to ask Chris, what DO you do for a living?
Have you ever thought of opening your own shop?

Oooh! This is probably our favorite game at the coffee shop (competes with 2-day-old-wrapped-muffin fights).

I get "Caramel Macchiato" nearly every day

Do you have Mocha (said as if it were product, like toothpaste. "Why yes, we keep our mocha in a tube")

Iced Cappuccino (word)

Do you have bathrooms? (Only because the state requires us to)

but the best question is: Do you have water? (Yes ma'am.....it is how we make coffee)

As far as severely unacceptable things: we had a guy using our courtesy computer pleasuring himself one time. But apparently it took 2 occurrences for the barista on shift to tell him never to come back.

Along the lines of games, we often have 4 or more baristas working at once, and we each had a BINGO-type card in our hands, and every square had something that a customer would say, do, or ask for.  If your customer said something on your card you can mark it off, and try and get 5 in a row!  One of the squares was always helping this one guy (who everyone avoids helping on normal days for various reasons, but we do interact pleasantly with him), and instead of everyone running away when he walks in, we all fight for him! (not literally of course..)

One saying that I like is when people say "latte" as "lah-dee"

That's awesome. I think I'm gonna try that at my shop.

Daniel Demers said:

Along the lines of games, we often have 4 or more baristas working at once, and we each had a BINGO-type card in our hands, and every square had something that a customer would say, do, or ask for.  If your customer said something on your card you can mark it off, and try and get 5 in a row!  One of the squares was always helping this one guy (who everyone avoids helping on normal days for various reasons, but we do interact pleasantly with him), and instead of everyone running away when he walks in, we all fight for him! (not literally of course..)

One saying that I like is when people say "latte" as "lah-dee"

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service