Thank you Starbucks for making your "dry" cappuccinos hot milk with foam sitting on top so that this morning when a lady orders DRY and i give her extra foamy all the way thru instead of sitting on top she tells me "you don't know what dry means. Dry means this much foam" and i said "yes ma'am if you take a drink you'll see its going to be extra foamy all the way through the drink so you get to enjoy the foamy all the way to the bottom" she hands me a nickel and says i don't know what i'm doing.

 

Thank you starbucks for naming a vanilla latte with caramel on top a Macchiato. Instead of the traditional 2.5 oz hot drink. So now people come to me and order a 20 oz blended macchiato.

 

Thank you for over sweetening your drinks and getting the term "burnt" to describe drinks that aren't sugared up.

 

Thank you Starbucks for completely slapping espresso in the face.

Views: 489

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

this is awesome. do you mind if i quote you ??
no way jose. we make the best dry caps around! its foamy alllllllll the way thru. like sipping on a raincloud. if that raincloud was full of coffee.

Joseph Robertson said:
Brandi,
Did I miss-read something here. How do you describe the difference between a dry cap and a wet cap?
Sounds like you handed her a wet cap?
Joseph
lol go ahead

Kristin McMillan said:
this is awesome. do you mind if i quote you ??
I agree its a great place to work, as a corperation, but that still has nothing to do with what Brandi is talking about. Everything she said is 100% true, they have destroyed the purity of a great cup of coffee, and contaminated the minds eye of what coffee "is".

Daniel King Pizzutti said:
Guys I like Starbucks bashing as much as the next, but let's not get too judgmental towards the employees. It's a job, that has benefits, and sometimes people need money. It's isn't the employees choice to serve the mislabeled/misleading drinks. It's the companies, and they are just doing there job.
also i never said ANYTHING bad about the employees. its starbucks as a company
Now I get it. Got have one of yours one day.
Joseph

Brandi Heath said:
no way jose. we make the best dry caps around! its foamy alllllllll the way thru. like sipping on a raincloud. if that raincloud was full of coffee.

Joseph Robertson said:
Brandi,
Did I miss-read something here. How do you describe the difference between a dry cap and a wet cap?
Sounds like you handed her a wet cap?
Joseph
We all go through it at some point of our coffee career.

My shop won't be offering "dry" for caps. It's just a sad thing to do to the Milk and espresso. A waste.

If they have a problem with it kindly point them in a direction of a Starbucks. There is nothing wrong with that.

If you're clever you'll figure out a way to describe espresso drinks in a way that makes sense to the customer and will possibly change their mind.
(bawhawhaw) What a great post! SO true.. You're speaking every day at my job! whatta joke!
Matthew,
I'm so on the same page with you on this.
Joe

Matthew Gasaway said:
We all go through it at some point of our coffee career.

My shop won't be offering "dry" for caps. It's just a sad thing to do to the Milk and espresso. A waste.

If they have a problem with it kindly point them in a direction of a Starbucks. There is nothing wrong with that.

If you're clever you'll figure out a way to describe espresso drinks in a way that makes sense to the customer and will possibly change their mind.
Never underestimate the power of customer education.

If they want a "Carmel Macchiato" then simply explain to them what it really is.
Macchiato means "to mark" in Italian and we are simply marking the espresso with milk to help preserve crema and using the sweetness of steamed milk to alter the flavor slightly. I like to tell them it's for people that like to sip their espresso at a slower pace.

Something along those lines to any customer and you won't seem incompetent. Know why you do the things you do. Not only that, but make sure your staff of barista are with you on it. That way there is no confusing the customer and they won't complain that someone made it and another person won't.
I was referring to something Ryan started on.
Besides, I (and really all of us) have heard where these topics can lead to.
I just thought I would remind myself out loud, to hate the company. Not the people.

Same could be said about the customers. Education is key, if we don't always have the
patience to educate, then we can't blame them for going to SB.
Not trying to take anything away from the OP. It was a rant, and we've all been there and felt that before.

Coffee is a crazy place, with too many parties introducing too many drinks that use a too-confusing nomenclature. Dealing with it can be an exercise in frustration. Should I really have to interview someone before serving them their drink in order to understand what they are looking for and what we call it?

Brandi, sounds to me like you served a cappuccino as dry as you could make it. Maybe if this customer would have asked for the drink with all foam, no milk you could have had the dialogue upfront and come away with her learning something. Too bad for her.

Matthew Gasaway said:
Never underestimate the power of customer education.

If they want a "Carmel Macchiato" then simply explain to them what it really is.
Macchiato means "to mark" in Italian and we are simply marking the espresso with milk to help preserve crema and using the sweetness of steamed milk to alter the flavor slightly. I like to tell them it's for people that like to sip their espresso at a slower pace.

Something along those lines to any customer and you won't seem incompetent. Know why you do the things you do. Not only that, but make sure your staff of barista are with you on it. That way there is no confusing the customer and they won't complain that someone made it and another person won't.

I agree with the first statement 100%.

Not sure what you meant with your second paragraph. If, by "simply explain to them what it really is" you meant "explain to them what your shop happens to call the drink that they are looking for" then I couldn't agree more. However I think far too many baristas take this opportunity to tell the customer that they are ignorant, this drink is wrong, that the Carmel Macchiato isn't really a drink, and that their shop's macchiato (which is really an espresso macchiato) is the real thing. To me, this is a bad idea for quite a few reasons.

I've yet to have someone explain how a chain flavoring a latte macchiato with vanilla and caramel and calling it a "caramel macchiato" is any different than an indie flavoring a cafe latte with vanilla and calling it a "vanilla latte". Any takers?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service