I am in the market for a new grinder. I have a Robur e and a Kony e and would like another for single origin. I like the grinders that I have now but thought maybe I would try something new. It has to be doserless though. Anyone tried the Mahlkonig twin? How is the taste etc?

Views: 186

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have two K30 Varios. One is a WBC and the other one isn't. Not sure if either one can produce the quality grinds that your Robur or Kony can but they probably can produce acceptable quality grinds with quietness, speed, cleanliness and consistent repeatability. I need to do a taste test one of these days.
I have not personally tried the Mahlkonig twin (they also make the doserless in a single) - but our company distributes them and we'd be happy to give you a competitive quote on a price for a brand new one. We have heard nothing but great things about them and they are beautiful machines.

Kirk
Sequoia Coffee Roasting Company, LLC
Clovis, CA
I worked with a Mahlkonig single hopper version a couple years ago and clumping was pretty bad, but I've heard that they have addressed this issue.

I'm going to try to point a couple people that I know that are working with both the single and double hopper versions to this thread and see if they will give you some input.

-bry
How about the Nino? I have an unused 220 plug.
I'm still very happy with my Compak K10 Timer Doserless. Soft clumping is a non-issue. Near zero spillage. Near zero waste.
I have worked quite a bit with Mahlkonigs...both the Twin and a single. They work better with lighter roasted espressos. Ours is pretty dark, so clumping in quite a problem. It has improved our consistency, and therefore the taste. My only issue with them is that programming the time is a pain in the butt during a rush.
The compak looks nice. I wonder how it compares to the robur e? I don't think there is a dealer in my area. Where is everyone getting them? Does it have a grind on demand button?
Thanks for the input T

-bry
I'm in Toronto but I ordered mine from a place in BC. Actually, I first wrote to Compak in Spain and received a reply from Compak USA with instructions on who to contact. In the USA you should have lots of dealers near to you.

The K10 Timer Doserless has a simple timer located on the lower left side which can be easily adjusted in moments. To run the timer you simply push the button above the portafilter guide fork.

On the right side of the machine is a three position switch with Timer/Off/On.

The timer setting can be cut short by pushing the button a second time.

What it lacks is Single/Double dose. In my case that's a non-issue because I only do doubles.

If you do both, then you'd simply set the timer for singles (about 2.4 seconds) and do it twice.

Compak USA suggests against opening it to clean it. They suggest Grindz.

D. Smith said:
The compak looks nice. I wonder how it compares to the robur e? I don't think there is a dealer in my area. Where is everyone getting them? Does it have a grind on demand button?
This was all over the forums last year. I purchased my first one in September '09 which was before the WBC model that supposedly addressed the clumping issue. Initially I was disturbed by the clumping but found the clumping virtually disappeared after the burrs broke in which was about 6 weeks. The so called clumps would fall apart with the lightest touch of the finger or tamper. Humidity was more of the cause of this than the grinder. The second K30 is a WBC which incorporates a new motor and new chute changes. It is noticeably quieter than my first one.

Bryan Wray said:
I worked with a Mahlkonig single hopper version a couple years ago and clumping was pretty bad, but I've heard that they have addressed this issue.

I'm going to try to point a couple people that I know that are working with both the single and double hopper versions to this thread and see if they will give you some input.

-bry
Robert Bedwell said:
This was all over the forums last year. I purchased my first one in September '09 which was before the WBC model that supposedly addressed the clumping issue. Initially I was disturbed by the clumping but found the clumping virtually disappeared after the burrs broke in which was about 6 weeks. The so called clumps would fall apart with the lightest touch of the finger or tamper. Humidity was more of the cause of this than the grinder. The second K30 is a WBC which incorporates a new motor and new chute changes. It is noticeably quieter than my first one.

I didn't have the same result after break in. We sped up the break in by running 25lbs through it when we first got it, then put it into production. The espresso blend we were running was relatively dark (not WAY dark, but spots of oil would creep in on day 4) and the clumping was always annoying. As T pointed out, with a lighter roast it might not be an issue.

The model I was using was also a "pre-WBC" model, so this issue may indeed have been resolved.

-bry
that 2 for 1 day idea sounds like an awsome idea. Maybe even just say a shot (or 2) for free if you don't want to lose money on the milk/syrups. Customers would rave and you could break your grinder in quickly. great thinking!

of course - byran may well have had access to some "disposeable"coffee.

~j

Jeff Jaworski said:
Bryan Wray said:
Robert Bedwell said:
We sped up the break in by running 25lbs through it when we first got it, then put it into production. -bry

No disrespect to you or your company Bryan, but I've always thought of this "break-in" practice with a new grinder as a complete waste of coffee. IMO, 25 lbs of whole beans is a helluva lot to be throwing right into the garbage can. Sometimes I think Espresso Nerds and Audiophiles are two in the same... ;p

Why not just do a two for one special the day or two or three that you all are supposedly "breaking in" the new grinder and explain the reasoning behind it to the customers? They surely won't mind and everyone comes out a winner that way.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service