New cafe opening need recommendations on espresso machines

hey sup everyone!! im about to open up another cafe... thinking of changing my espresso machine. Can neone help me out on which machines is good? ne recommendation? i was thinking either getting the la cimbali GT or WBC simonelli. And also an espresso small grinder and reg size grinders... thanks!!!

Views: 726

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Have heard nothing but good things about Cimbali, but have never used one so can't comment personally. I do use the Aurelia and find it to be a great machine through and through. Regarding grinders, you can go from mild to wild. Depends on expected voulme, space and budget. I use a Simonelli MDX and it fits my needs just fine. Not the fastest, best looking thing available, but it gets the job done quite nicely and is just a simple workhorse.
Lots of input on this discussion recently. Here's a starter. Try using the search feature on older discussions.

Ask around to see who the good techs are in your area. Then find out which machines they specialize in. There are many great machines, but service coverage can vary widely. A great but broken machine is useless.

On your suggestions: La Cimbali are well made, nice machines, but their distributor structure in the states is really weird. This definitely interferes with service coverage in some areas (including NC). Nuova Simonelli's organization is easier to work with and therefore tends to have good coverage. They also make great machines.
What about the new Rancilio with pressure profiling? It's supposed to be as stable as a Synesso with incredible flexibility and will be an option on all their machines. I'm going to their tech training in a few weeks and will get to play with it then. I've always been impressed with the quality of the Rancilios and now they are coming out with some really cutting edge technology.


Jason Shipley said:
What about the new Rancilio with pressure profiling? It's supposed to be as stable as a Synesso with incredible flexibility and will be an option on all their machines. I'm going to their tech training in a few weeks and will get to play with it then. I've always been impressed with the quality of the Rancilios and now they are coming out with some really cutting edge technology.

Elaborate the new pressure profiling rancilio a bit more pleace.
I'm selling a wbc competizione nouva simonelli for a really good price. Also I am not that far from you on the east coast. The machine is practically brand new and was in use for about 2 months. If you need any info or feedback on the machine drop me a line.
I'm not sure what your budget is. If you are a little tight on funds at this time, I would recommend making the grinder your highest priority investment. Do not skimp on the grinder. If that means you buy a lesser quality machine now, or a used one, and save up for a better one in the future, that would be your wisest decision. A top of the line machine with a mediocre grinder will leave you wanting, but a high quality grinder with a lower end machine can produce delicious shots with the right barista skill.


Jason Shipley said:
What about the new Rancilio with pressure profiling? ...(snip)...

Hmmm... maybe I missed the memo, but what are you talking about?
This. And also an espresso small grinder and reg size grinders...

That says a lot. The machine is mentioned by brand. The grinder is mentioned as though they were all the same.

This is backwards.

Prima Coffee said:
I'm not sure what your budget is. If you are a little tight on funds at this time, I would recommend making the grinder your highest priority investment. Do not skimp on the grinder. If that means you buy a lesser quality machine now, or a used one, and save up for a better one in the future, that would be your wisest decision. A top of the line machine with a mediocre grinder will leave you wanting, but a high quality grinder with a lower end machine can produce delicious shots with the right barista skill.
They are introing the machine at Coffee Fest Seattle. We'll see what it does but from talking to their sales manager it sounds amazing, Rancilio sells a lot of machines but with this they are trying to take on the high end of the market.


Brady said:


Jason Shipley said:
What about the new Rancilio with pressure profiling? ...(snip)...

Hmmm... maybe I missed the memo, but what are you talking about?
Adding a pressure profiling is not going to be enough to cut it to the high end market. IMO rancilio is light years behind any la marzocco, aurelias and even synessos when it comes to usability.



Jason Shipley said:
They are introing the machine at Coffee Fest Seattle. We'll see what it does but from talking to their sales manager it sounds amazing, Rancilio sells a lot of machines but with this they are trying to take on the high end of the market.


Brady said:


Jason Shipley said:
What about the new Rancilio with pressure profiling? ...(snip)...

Hmmm... maybe I missed the memo, but what are you talking about?
We'll see what happens but as far as their current machines they are certainly on par with the Aurelia (I own one), I would agree that they are behind La Marzocco from a tech standpoint but their reliability is very good and their pricing makes a lot more sense. Espresso Machine prices have gotten out of control and I'm sure we've all been in stores that have a $20K machine that should have bought a more realistically priced machine and invested in barista training or better coffee.

What do you mean by useability? I found the Class 8 and 10 to be nice machines, the CLever steam valve was a bit hinky but overall a pretty nice machine, and the shots I pulled were good.
Well the only grinder you will ever need is a mazzer because ive had a couple under heavy use for 12 years without a break. I recommend super jolly as a slow starter, major as a faster higher volume grinder and the robur as a conical beast to cope with any major high volume situations. Also the mini would probably make a good decaf grinder. I suppose my next choice after a mazzer would be an anfim super caimano modded slightly.
Anything else, I wouldn't consider without testing it.
As for a machine, if you want top quality espresso, there's only two brands i would consider. La Marzocco. Synesso. And maybe, just maybe an NS Aurelia, but only if my budget wont extend to a marzocco or synesso. Get a 2 grp Cyncra, keep it clean. nice and easy. You're sorted for a decade. Or if you still want a powerhouse and are on a lower budget, get a second hand la marzocco linea (ebay). there's plenty of variety here with the linea. Check it out to see what you're getting. PID kit?

Anyway, good luck

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service