Is it a mystery? How do I get a job at a coffee shop that's not Starbucks. I have worked for Starbucks years ago, and for Tully's Coffee as well. Obviously, this isn't what I want to do. But how do I get into a coffee shop where I will really learn how to be a barista? Just for an example, how does one work for Stumptown? Or any reputable cafe? Thank guys

Views: 88

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Saturated markets make it extremely difficult to find a job, regardless of you experience. If you want to work for next to nothing in Lincoln Nebraska for Cultiva, learn how to roast, cup, prepare espresso, etc.. send me your resume and we might be able to give you some experience. again, we trade education for a bit of time behind the bar. We also have a house that acts like a youth hostel at times, so housing is a possibility, but I need a resume first.
Hmmm....

Re: Saturated Market, http://whynotcoffee.wordpress.com/2009/04/07/seattle-coffee-communi...

Read through it, I get to it, I promise.

Anyways, if you're focus is quality and you are passionate about coffee, have patience,...I guarantee you it will happen.
Impress the hell out of me (or any cafe owner). Passion and desire to work with coffee comes out pretty quickly in prospective barista. One who has done his/her homework about a company and can answer questions knowledgably always has an opportunity even in these times.

Alex Negranza said:
Hmmm....

Re: Saturated Market, http://whynotcoffee.wordpress.com/2009/04/07/seattle-coffee-communi...

Read through it, I get to it, I promise.

Anyways, if you're focus is quality and you are passionate about coffee, have patience,...I guarantee you it will happen.
Thanks Alun,
You are right, doing my homework has always proven to be essential.
Where do you own a cafe?


Alun Evans said:
Impress the hell out of me (or any cafe owner). Passion and desire to work with coffee comes out pretty quickly in prospective barista. One who has done his/her homework about a company and can answer questions knowledgably always has an opportunity even in these times.

Alex Negranza said:
Hmmm....

Re: Saturated Market, http://whynotcoffee.wordpress.com/2009/04/07/seattle-coffee-communi...

Read through it, I get to it, I promise.

Anyways, if you're focus is quality and you are passionate about coffee, have patience,...I guarantee you it will happen.
Thanks for the link, good stuff. I have the passion, and now just need an opportunity to do some learning.

Alex Negranza said:
Hmmm....

Re: Saturated Market, http://whynotcoffee.wordpress.com/2009/04/07/seattle-coffee-communi...

Read through it, I get to it, I promise.

Anyways, if you're focus is quality and you are passionate about coffee, have patience,...I guarantee you it will happen.
Hi Cultiva Guy,
Thanks for the reply. Learning to roast, cup prepare espresso etc... sounds really exciting.
I would be happy to send a resume along. Email it you?

cultiva guy said:
Saturated markets make it extremely difficult to find a job, regardless of you experience. If you want to work for next to nothing in Lincoln Nebraska for Cultiva, learn how to roast, cup, prepare espresso, etc.. send me your resume and we might be able to give you some experience. again, we trade education for a bit of time behind the bar. We also have a house that acts like a youth hostel at times, so housing is a possibility, but I need a resume first.
Jakarta (Indonesia), opening next month in Auckland, New Zealand (although this is a roastery with limited cafe facilities...looking for an apprentice roaster actually!) and later this year in Singapore.
Corey Roberts said:
Thanks Alun,
You are right, doing my homework has always proven to be essential.
Where do you own a cafe?


Alun Evans said:
Impress the hell out of me (or any cafe owner). Passion and desire to work with coffee comes out pretty quickly in prospective barista. One who has done his/her homework about a company and can answer questions knowledgably always has an opportunity even in these times.

Alex Negranza said:
Hmmm....

Re: Saturated Market, http://whynotcoffee.wordpress.com/2009/04/07/seattle-coffee-communi...

Read through it, I get to it, I promise.

Anyways, if you're focus is quality and you are passionate about coffee, have patience,...I guarantee you it will happen.

Where is his cafe? Do your homework, grasshopper... click on his profile :)

Speaking of homework, lots of discussions in the archives here where cafe owners discuss this topic from the other side. The best job-getting advice that I ever received? Understand the hiring manager's perspective and BE WHAT THEY NEED. Everything you need to understand is here already, so this should be easy.

As you read, understand that most of these things on the wishlist are things that a barista IS and does, not things that a barista says. Good luck.
I spent some time in Papua New Guinea, but was only passing through Jakarta. I have a special love for that side of the world. Singapore is great too. Keep me updated, what you're doing sounds great.

Alun Evans said:
Jakarta (Indonesia), opening next month in Auckland, New Zealand (although this is a roastery with limited cafe facilities...looking for an apprentice roaster actually!) and later this year in Singapore.
email would be fine. I lived in Seattle for a short time. great community of coffee lovers. I miss it dearly.


Corey Roberts said:
Hi Cultiva Guy,
Thanks for the reply. Learning to roast, cup prepare espresso etc... sounds really exciting.
I would be happy to send a resume along. Email it you?

cultiva guy said:
Saturated markets make it extremely difficult to find a job, regardless of you experience. If you want to work for next to nothing in Lincoln Nebraska for Cultiva, learn how to roast, cup, prepare espresso, etc.. send me your resume and we might be able to give you some experience. again, we trade education for a bit of time behind the bar. We also have a house that acts like a youth hostel at times, so housing is a possibility, but I need a resume first.
As a manager having worked in several fields through the years I have noticed anyone can be taught how to do almost any job but not everyone cares. You must prove you want more than a check. When you can convince the person you are interviewing with that you care and have a work ethic you have the job. Anything else can be taught.
I was interviewing a young man that had no experience just certifications from training. I had made up my mind prior to the interview I was not going to hire him because he lacked the experience I needed. However the first thing he asked is if I were to get this job would it be ok if I worked mornings at where I am now until they can hire a replacement? I don’t want to leave them high and dry. I hired him on the spot.. He is still working there and has been promoted twice and became my best employee.

When asked why someone should hire me that is always my first response. I care, anyone can be taught but you can’t teach someone to care..

Hope this helps.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2023   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service