Alot of hard work but how the hell do we get Kiwis to drink black coffee, and do away with all the health issues directly related to dairy consomption, or am I a radical for even trying to suggest that this could take off and bring a whole new element to the NZ Cafe/coffee house sub industry. After living in Vancouver canada for the last 4 years I can not drink anything larger than a macciato/flat white ok a 6 to 8 oz milk based drink.
Except for within the coffee industry kiwi coffee consumers seem to snob black coffee when in truth a single origin specialty coffee is a hell of alot more enjoyable.

There that should bring out some opinions.
kiwi in cunuck land

Views: 138

Replies to This Discussion

Looking forward to it! Keeping ideas to yourself is permitted- as long as it results in an advance for us all in the longterm!
ok then, My big thing about black coffee which you will appreciate Alun Is getting the best available bean roasting it to how the bean demands for the best flavor and paying a premium in order to support the community in which the bean comes from. Having worked with the Piccilo family and Frankie jamarlie (La Marzocco and ex Clover Distributor here in vancouver and meeting the likes of Reg barber and seeing all the good that they do in order to help the growing community Produce a better product and increase their standard of living gives me peace of mind and a reason to reduce waste every day. which is also why I think there can be a opportunity to create such a market in NZ as I believe we understand the hardship or our immediate neighboring nations such as PNG and Indonesia.

In my current Job with a Local Vancouver Franchise of 15 stores as training manager and food and beverage manager, I am In the closing stages of implementing the One Harvest project which Dillano coffee roasters have worked hard on, Check it out @ oneharvestproject.com or find the link @ dillanocoffeeroasters.com.

Ok 30c calls for time buy the pool

Alun Evans said:
Looking forward to it! Keeping ideas to yourself is permitted- as long as it results in an advance for us all in the longterm!
all seems a little similar to the already-big 'fair trade certified' products in NZ? i notice at Wild Bean their raw sugar is also fair trade
Gidday Ryan. The problem with Fairtrade is that while it is a stopgap remedy- it really does not address the poverty and problems of the bulk of the worlds coffee growing community. In Indonesia there were, at my last count, only 4 "certified" fairtrade coops here- this is in a country that is the worlds 4th largest producr of coffee. In Honduras, there are 70. The cost and the nature of developing a coop (or even a Finca or Estate Group) to meet the compliance and payfor certification means that it is almost impossible for most farmers or smallholdrs to get certified.

Wht Jules is talking about is "relationship" coffee - essentially where the roaster builds a direct relationship to a farming cumminty- helps to work on the quality of that communities coffee so it meets specialty coffee standards, then cmmits to payng fairtrade prices or BETTER to that community. We do it here in Indonesia, it works very well for ur gowers and also for us- as we get unique, quality coffee. The difficulties are always in building the relationship, then managing these longterm. It is, I guess, why I have little choie but to continue being here and ot there (NZ!)

I would like to think that in the future the ground work FT has done will lead to the whole movement, wi be replaced by direct, euitable and fairly traded. I lso suspect Jules has it right in projectng a small, yet coffee focused market like New Zealand will/would be a great place to launch his idea in.

Ryan said:
all seems a little similar to the already-big 'fair trade certified' products in NZ? i notice at Wild Bean their raw sugar is also fair trade
fair trade created the snow ball. Dillanos goes as far as bank rolling a harvest so the co op or indivdual dose not need to borrow money at 3rd world intrest rates like 20% so it a big deal really.

49th paid for a bus for school kids in colombia, so those sort of things in my words are just cool.

Alun Evans said:
Gidday Ryan. The problem with Fairtrade is that while it is a stopgap remedy- it really does not address the poverty and problems of the bulk of the worlds coffee growing community. In Indonesia there were, at my last count, only 4 "certified" fairtrade coops here- this is in a country that is the worlds 4th largest producr of coffee. In Honduras, there are 70. The cost and the nature of developing a coop (or even a Finca or Estate Group) to meet the compliance and payfor certification means that it is almost impossible for most farmers or smallholdrs to get certified.

Wht Jules is talking about is "relationship" coffee - essentially where the roaster builds a direct relationship to a farming cumminty- helps to work on the quality of that communities coffee so it meets specialty coffee standards, then cmmits to payng fairtrade prices or BETTER to that community. We do it here in Indonesia, it works very well for ur gowers and also for us- as we get unique, quality coffee. The difficulties are always in building the relationship, then managing these longterm. It is, I guess, why I have little choie but to continue being here and ot there (NZ!)

I would like to think that in the future the ground work FT has done will lead to the whole movement, wi be replaced by direct, euitable and fairly traded. I lso suspect Jules has it right in projectng a small, yet coffee focused market like New Zealand will/would be a great place to launch his idea in.

Ryan said:
Cool, and necessary for the future of specialty coffee. You just imagine living in a world where the choice of Sumatran Mandehling is from one or two "producers". Wait- we are there now you say? No- we are at the crossroads. Mandehling, for example, is a general growing area. There are probably 2,500 growing communities in this area all producing distinctly different coffees. Direct trade means these growing communities can sell directly to the Dillanos, the Merdekas of this world. The future of coffee is not "Aid" perse- more the savvy roasters sense that by paying way above "fairtrade" pricing communities can empower themselves- get the clean water, schooling, roading, electricity, phone systems etc- the coffee drinker in Toronto, Auckland, Wellington,,,even Invercargill can get something really special. Its a win-win for sure!

jules said:
fair trade created the snow ball. Dillanos goes as far as bank rolling a harvest so the co op or indivdual dose not need to borrow money at 3rd world intrest rates like 20% so it a big deal really.

49th paid for a bus for school kids in colombia, so those sort of things in my words are just cool.

Alun Evans said:

Ryan said:
The thing is fair trad doas no reconise qulity like the cup of excellence system dose which has been knowen to push the price of green bean to over$100.00 US. (panama esmerelda 2007 mabye 8

Ryan said:
For those in Aotearoa, you should take note of a new cafe recently opened by Coffee Supreme.
They seem to be leading the way in offering single origin brews using a variety of different brew methods.
Anyone in Wellington interested in posting a review on here? I'd love to hear opinions.
They have a Clover and a Slayer machine! Can't imagine what the paid for those.
Peace
Down there in two weeks, near the top of the list for places to visit and see!

Pangi said:
For those in Aotearoa, you should take note of a new cafe recently opened by Coffee Supreme.
They seem to be leading the way in offering single origin brews using a variety of different brew methods.
Anyone in Wellington interested in posting a review on here? I'd love to hear opinions.
Peace
Recently visited this cafe and was really impressed with their focus on educating customers about different brew methods - something that is already big in N America. I am a kiwi who started a coffee roaster in Toronto, Canada. You can read about my visit to Supreme on my blog at: tearocoffee.wordpress.com
Hi Andy,

Great write-up on your trip to NZ. Sounds like you guys had an action packed, whirlwind week. I am a kiwi in NYC with a constant eye on what is happening back home and was really impressed by the new and fresh direction Supreme seem to be taking. I have come across your website before, looks like you guys are doing some great things.
I'm on my way to Toronto in near the end of April. I'd love to stop by for a chat and a flattie.
Let me know when you're around the cafe.
Pangi

Andy Wilkin said:
Recently visited this cafe and was really impressed with their focus on educating customers about different brew methods - something that is already big in N America. I am a kiwi who started a coffee roaster in Toronto, Canada. You can read about my visit to Supreme on my blog at: tearocoffee.wordpress.com
that would have cost a bit in NZD

Pangi said:
Peace

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service