A while ago I ran across a term to describe the act of pouring a shot of espresso over a finished blended drink. Now I have forgotten the term. I have had a couple of these recently and like the effect. Anyone know what to call this?

Views: 157

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

adjective?!... now i get it. its either marked with milk or espresso, or carmel for that matter. affogato on the other hand is somewhat more vague. drowned... I like the last line of the definition "A "cafe affogato" is sometimes referred to as a "cold shower".
next time that hottie walks into the cafe i know what to do!

Chris Hooton said:
I think some of the confusion is that these drinks have come to been called by an adjective. I got thinking about the etymology of the words "macchiato" and "affogato" they are both adjectives, the describe a drink. So are we talking about an espresso macchiato or a cappuccino macchiato? Are we talking about a gelato affogato or something else affogato? When you look these words up in an Italian dictionary there is not a picture of a drink next to them.

From Babylon Italian-English Dictionary:
adj. spotted, spotty, dappled, smudgy, soiled

adj. drowned

Thanks again for the info!

Reply to Discussion


Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2022   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service