I attended a coffee cupping about two months ago and as we were wrapping up/cleaning up, the discussion of the use of new and used coffee grounds was brought up. Besides the obvious "drip" or portafilter uses, a couple of off the wall uses were voiced.

A few of them were...

Washing hands
Washing face
Garden use
Throwing used "pucks" at each other in an espresso war.
And showering. Yes, showering. Apparently using coffee in your hair will help keep the shine.

I was wondering if anyone else had any, or heard of any other uses for your grinds...

Views: 116

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know garden use is a good one. I would definitely wash my face with it, but wash my hair, don't see how that would be beneficial to anything.
Seriously. You can get the "shine" effect from any other oil, if you really want oil in your hair. (don't we normally wash oil OUT of hair?)
That's what I was thinking. Oil is your car's engine, good. Oil in your hair, not so much.
After hearing about this coffee "shower" that day, I actually went home and tried it. I smelled like coffee all day, my hair was oily which was annoying as hell. It took me 15 minutes to shower, and another 45 to scrub the grinds and coffee stains from my make-shift "Clover" disaster.
That is funny!
ROFL!

So much for that idea.
facial mask!! i know this is a girly answer, but if you mix the grounds with i little hot water and clay its great for you skin and is an awesome, gentle exfoliant.
i almost forgot, in case any of you want to try it. Don'y use a lot of grounds- more clay and water. otherwise, you'll smell like coffee. and make sure the ground are cold once you mix them in. Oh! and don't use more then once a week or you'll really strip your skin and it will become red and sesitive.
sounds crazy, i know. but whatever works right.
I think I'll leave this for you girls to try. ;)
have you tried this? I've heard the same, and one of my old co-workers said she tried it and it sucked. Did you have similar results, if so?
yes i have, but i loved it! it made my skin so soft. but i used an actual recipe to make it. if you don't use the right amounts it can mess up you skin. and if you have naturally oily skin then it could take up to three weeks for your skin to recover. i think it just depends on the skin type and the amount you use.
Grounds make great compost, although the smell of it decomposing is actually worse than "normal" compost. Coffee is good for roses because it balances acidic soil. Worms like it, but slugs and snails don't like the caffeine so it can actually work as a pesticide, or at least, a pest-deterrant in some cases.
I put my grounds on the veg garden and have produced mutant potatoes and an insane amount of garlic - coulda sworn I didn't plant half that amount...

Another girly trick - if anyone uses natural henna to dye their hair, you can mix coffee grounds in with the henna paste, and it goes a gorgeous mahogany colour. I've actually tried that, and can vouch for it!!

I've read that if you compress grounds into bricks and dry them out, you can use it as fuel - like burning peat. But apparently the smell is horrific!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service