In the past month or so we have had two mazzer SJ dosers go to crap. the first one is on a grinder we have been using for about the past 5 years, it was bought used with an unknown history before. the doser simply stopped working, pulling the handle did nothing. I tore it completely apart and lubricated the crazy washer and all seemed well until a few days ago when I got a call. well I got into work today and found that another mazzer doser is having trouble. this one is on a nearly brand new SJ that we have had for barely a year. basically it seems that it went from nice smooth action to stiff crap overnight.

what could be causing this?

It seems to me that there is way too much of a coincidence, and that I should be able to find an employee who has worked in both shops and is mistreating them, but I don't want to hassle my people.

Has anyone taken apart any of the newer dosers? any advice on how to remove the lower dosing star from the cam gear underneath? I can't fathom how to get it apart. our older unit basically just unscrews.

thanks for any help anyone has to offer.
chris

Views: 512

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is it the spring in the doser pull? Those things pop out sometimes or break, and make it stiff. Thankfully for me, no help to you, I haven't had to take one of the new ones apart, but a call to ESI might answer these questions for sure. Take care Chris!
jason,
thanks for the idea, i had thought of that, and both the spring attached to the doser lever as well as the one on the small finger like thingy that grabs the cam are in great shape. I doused it with lubricant yesterday, I am going to see if letting it set in overnight and then working it in will solve the problem. I'll update as I get a result.

chris
Cool!
I am kind of late in replying but, if this helps... Ground coffee and oils build up under the lower doser star and gunk up a small flat washer under the lower star. The star needs to be removed from the doser ratchet with a 2.5mm roll pin punch. Once you remove the roll pin you can clean lube and re-assemble. Older dosers will have significant wear if they have not been deep cleaned quarterly in a busy shop. The alum. base plate and the pivot points on the doser arm will wear on each other until the hole is oval.
Coop
thanks coop,
that is exactly the tool info I was looking for. OUr older dosers come right apart without mussing with the roll pin at all, that is why I was stymied. I actually had great luck letting lubricant soak in overnight then working it in. We have six mazzer grinders and only on one has this ever become a problem. the wierd thing is that the one doser that was giving us trouble is the only one we have ever bought new!
It is actually a 3mm roll pin punch, not 2.5mm McMaster part# 3421A53. The pin does not need to be removed, just driven far enough to turn the bolt that secures the ratchet. You also have to hold the ratchet with a pair of pliers to free the bolt. Do not try to hold the doser star, the arms will snap. When you reassemble, align the pin with the hole in the ratchet and tighten the bolt until you can drive the pin against a flat face of the bolt head.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service