Just wondering. If I were a business that was not a fair trade member or whatever, but had say some tea that had a fair trade label already on it, could I put that box in view of customers even if I wasn't certified? I mean, I don't have the little sticker in my window, and I don't advertise that I offer fair trade items, but when you look at my tea selection you'd notice that the company I buy them from has fair trade labels on some of them.
Or if I bought a green coffee that was part of the Rain Forest Alliance, but was not a member myself, could I use my burlap bag as decoration? If I can do that with these things, where is the line?

Understanding this is all hypothetical, I'm looking into the future.

Views: 39

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

First, my suggestion is to call these two certification groups and ask the questions directly. Supporting a cause is wonderful, but misrepresenting yourself and your company related to a certification or social responsibility is dangerous for your reputation and may put you in legal trouble.

That being said, I believe that if you purchase a product that is certified with a logo and sell that item in your store without changing or altering the product, for example tea or chocolate, you are able to display the packaging to your consumer.

If you are a coffee roaster, and use an empty bag with a certification logo on it as a display, but your operation is not certified and you do not offer/sell certified products than it would be considered a misrepresentation as it causes confusion to the consumer.
I spoke with the Rainforest Alliance people (Danner) at the DC show, and they will actually provide P.O.P. and other material to support you if you are using RA certified coffees. All that is required is that you prove the coffee is RA certified. I am not sure about Fair Trade, but a call to them would certainly ease your conscience.
Thanks for the comments. I would not do something like that to misdirect my customers or to imply I was something I was not. It would definitely be a hassle if I had to hide my tea beyond viewing eyes just because of a sticker, but if you have to you have to. I would definitely know exactly where everything and everyone stood before I put anything anywhere. I guess I'm just frustrated that one of these companies would get paid twice for providing one service. I don't know. I'm trying to figure out where I fit in all this.
James -

Think of it this way: If you buy Lipton tea bags and NesQuick chocolate powder to make your tea and hot chocolate you would not need to hide the boxes or packages, thus if these items have FairTrade or other logos on them, you would not need to hide them because of the logo itself.
Hi,
Yes, you can definitely put that box with a Fair Trade Certified sticker since that tea is Fair Trade Certified.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service