I am looking to start doing tastings at the caffe, rather than the more formal cupping. Who is doing either in their store, and any tips you'd care to pass along?

I would probably start with three distinctly different coffees.

Thanks for any insight!

Views: 20

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've done a few monthly ones at the shop, with minimal response. Those that attended liked it though, and have been return customers/attendees.

The format we chose was also a tasting. I started with a brief intro discussion about coffee tasting - the elements of coffee flavor. I also handed out a cupping form for them to record their thoughts, a flavor wheel, and a 1 page definitions sheet.
Then I ground the coffee (not identified) for a small press batch and passed it around for people to sniff. I made the press and distributed 3 ounce samples in demis. Refills were available. Discussion was encouraged. It was pretty easy-going. We did 4 coffees each time, and people had fun and learned something.

Problems I experienced were mostly people RSVPing yes and then not showing - as in 15 would say they were coming and 2 would actually show. Also, I didn't do a very good job mixing it up - people that had attended all 3 events ended up tasting some of the same things a few times. I didn't do a very good job of publicizing it either, which didn't help...

Going forward, the event will have a charge - probably the cost of a pound of beans. Attendees will receive 1lb of coffee, probably 1/4lb sample bags of the coffees we've tasted, but flexible in case people don't like one or more of the offerings. I'll also tie events to the introduction of a new coffee, the return of one that's been absent, a reserve offering, a new crop... something to keep it fresh and also help drive bean sales of new stuff.

Jason D was doing weekly cuppings at the Dilworth roastery for a while, but stopped a while ago. Hopefully he'll chime in with his thoughts.

Good luck!
Thanks Brady,

We would have a charge. I've taught classes on other aspects before, and I know that people take it more seriously if it's a paid class. Of course that means I have to be more "professional", but I would imagine it's the same as any small seminar.

Thanks for the info.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service