I can see that most of you guys are Barista Trainers.Have You finished any Barista School for Trainers? Can You please recommend a certification program where You can become Certified Barista Trainer?!

Views: 1837

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is not currently a certification for training. Nor is there a school or program that I know of specializing in this training. Most of us trainers have learned what we know about training by attending all of the espresso and cupping classes, as well as individual trainings from our roasters. I am sure there will be a certification for this in the future, and can see there's a value there, but there is not currently one in place. (I would recommend taking as many espresso and coffee knowledge classes you can, and pay close attention to the way they train, take notes, and remember the things they used to help you better understand espresso and coffee. Books and DVDs are good, as well, like the Bellissimo videos on espresso, as well as David Schomer's book on Espresso. Learn all you can, and despite the lack of certification, you will be ready to train.)
compete and judge barista competitions.
The American Barista and coffee school. It's owned by Bruce Milleto (who also owns Bellisimo) and he has his finger on the pulse of the industry. It's the best training you could ever receive, I went there this past summer and I was blown away by what I learned. I had already been a barista for three years and my knowledge of espresso and coffee pretty much doubled. I took the four day "barista intenso" course. It's totally worth the money!

-Joe
Certification does not exist in North America, however, other regions DO have certifications. (the AASCA, I believe, does)

The problem with certification, is the question of who is qualified to certify others, and on what basis?

This industry is still young, and we are learning as we go. This makes it very difficult to agree on "fundamentals" beyond the obvious, since everything is being challenged practically every other day.

There is no "finish line", so to speak.

I am self-taught. I read things on the net, talked to people, and have pretty much been amassing a proverbial encyclopedia of coffee knowledge since I first decided I wanted to work in coffee. I have always leaned towards the education side of things, so it was a natural move for me to start training and consulting. It was the best thing for me to do to work towards my goal of improving the standard of coffee in my neck of the woods.

What are your goals for becoming a "certified" barista trainer? Knowing that can make understanding how to answer a little easier.

edit: I saw your profile and saw you had listed the SCAE as your website. Maybe this is what you're looking for. If not, it shouldn't be too difficult to find out.

http://www.scae.com/education-and-training/certified-barista-progra...
For further details of the SCAE Master Barista Certification and how to apply for it, please contact the SCAE Secretariat by clicking the Contact Us button on the home page.
Thank You Jason for your answer!
I listed SCAE as my website because I'm member and Certified Barista of SCAE .The thing is that SCAE doesn't offer Trainer Certification.As You said,I'm self taught as well,but I don't know when I can call myself Barista Trainer?!?!?!?!
p.s.I'm planing to open Barista Academy one day.......

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service