the drive-thru kiosk i manage is one of the only (decent) coffee stops in my small town, so we're frequently asked to re-create starbucks' drinks. each day, at least a handful of people observe the menu, and then ask for caramel macchiato. so i prepare the starbucks version: sugar-loaded-latte-topped-with-whipped-cream-and-drizzled-with-more-sugar. people LOVE it.

i dread the day someone orders a macchiato (a real one), and i make an ass of myself because i give them the wrong drink.

we're only a little under a week old, and we're still making changes to and expanding our menu before our grand opening. i'm considering taking our macchiato off the menu to avoid the confusion. any thoughts on branding a REAL macchiato? and is there even a point in "marking" espresso, and then putting a to-go lid over it?

...thanks

Views: 851

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting...most people that want a macchiato have a sit down and enjoy it, as for the caramel macchiato from Starbucks, it would be safe to call it a Vanilla latte with caramel toppings, after all the syrup used is Vanilla ;-)..Now I made my modification of the Caramel macchiato, because I had customers that love caramel, like people love chocolate, so I would use caramel syrup to sweeten and also to top it...My Version is more like the synergy between a real latte and cappacino ...not too much milk not to much froth.... Now to brand a real macchiato always serve in a small cup no larger than a 6 oz unless requested..I personally like 2 shots espresso bout 1/2 shot milk/froth...Make sure if you are marking ur espresso u use the to-go small cup, unless requested ;-)...
jessa,
you might consider having a "traditional" and "dessert drink" menu separation to keep from confusion. There is a necessity in your development and establishment of quality to offer the traditional drinks as a means of communicating your value for coffee to your customers. You might not realize it, but people have probably already decided what to expect when they drive thru now based on just one week of experience with you. However, the longer you wait to make changes the more upset people will get when you do it.

I work in a cafe where I make traditional capps and macchiatos about three times a year!!!!!! This has a lot to do with the fact that we were established to be just like everyone else in the coffee world.
My recomendation is to come up with a house version of the popular c-mac and brand it with your own name. We call ours the caramella. some call it the carameliscious or some similar silly name. Keep the espresso macchiato on your menu as well. the key to serving both of these drinks, in my opinion, is succumb to the c-mac people and make the best damn drink you can- consistently. yours WILL be better than the other version and the customer will eventually notice and prefer yours over theirs. (trust me)

use the espresso macchiato on your menu as an educational tool, explaining the difference when necessary. Recently we have had people coming in (it's a new semester at our college) asking for extra dry capps.
isntead of an extra dry capp we are turning them on to macchiatos. What we're finding is that the customer doesn't want the heaviness of the milk but they do want a little bit with their espresso. what better beverage to introduce to your espresso loving customer......

and we will always have the sweet, milky loving customers. they help pay our bills. the main key is to consistently prepare your drinks the best they can be because there is no disguising bad espresso.
Agreeing with all previous posters. PLEASE leave the macchiato on. Tuck it between the espresso and cappuccino where the sugar-milkies won't even notice it (bless em'). Definitely change the name on the vanilla-caramel one though. Though you doom yourself to constantly having to introduce your name to new customers, this gives you a second-check opportunity to catch the once a month real macchiato customer.

Also, your macchiato probably doesn't need a lid... 4 oz tops in a 12 oz hot cup? Heck, score a sleeve of 8 oz hot cups just to have around. Perfect for that trad capp customer too...

I find that having a framed picture of a "real macchiato" on the wall, as well as demis within easy reach, is really useful. Someone asks and I grab both the demi and the big gulp and proceed from there. Not so helpful in a kiosk maybe, but a picture is worth a thousand words.

I have been known to give away a single trad macchiato to the customer that shows interest... after they've purchased their other drink. I usually split the double and have one with them if there is time. Its a good educational opportunity for the cost of a shot, 30 seconds, and a bit of milk.

Good luck.
Jessa, I also run a small cafe amongst the green giant and my most tactful way of not trying to make the customer feel like they need to speak a foreign language to get a beverage out is to ask the non- regulars (which in your case is almost everyone considering you are a new business), but try by asking them "what size?" Most likely if they answer tall, grande or venti you know they mean the sugary drink you discribed above. If they say traditional- then you get to make the other. Usually the first question of "Machiatto? What size can I get you?", that question keeps everyone feeling coffee savvy while making sure nobody questions your abilities to cross over from non-tradition to traditional.
We are in a very touristy location near Pike Place Market in Seattle so we get a bevy of both traditional European drinkers along with Starbucked trained customers. It's sort of rewarding to prepare the drinks without missing a beat. Everybody is happy at the end of the day! Whatever they order it will be prepared with great care and they will love it.
Nothing bothers me more than hearing some 16 year old girl with "flirt" written across the ass of her sweatpants come in and order a caramel macchiato. Right away i just gently explain to them that we serve a traditional macchiato which is just two shot with a small amount of milk and foam, and show them the cup it comes in. If they seem confused then I say I can make you a caramel latte which is how starbucks prepairs them. Load it up with vanilla and caramel and send them on there way. I don't discourage them from getting there sugared up latte/capp fusion, i just simply explain to them the truth of a real macchiato. it seems to work. If I were you I wouldn't stop serving them, instead let them know what they want is something different, then there won't be any awkwardness about it in the future and maybe one less person will be ignorant of what is really one of the best ways to drink espresso! mmmm...think i'll have one now...
today i've featured a spiced vanilla caramel latte (especially for the "sugar-milkies"). i think if we separate the menu a bit and pour macchiatos into sample cups, we might establish respect for the macchiato (and an understanding that even though we're a kid-friendly, small town drive-thru, we're familiar with traditional drinks).

thanks every-buddy! :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service