What % of sales be "payroll"? What should "cost of goods sold" be as a percent to sales? What do you charge for a dbl 12oz latte'? What % do you markup your pastry items?

Views: 190

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I try to average 25-28% for payroll. Creating a spread sheet in excell is a good way to calculate for pricing your products. I mark up everything at least 100%. You can probly find some formulas with a google search.
On a very rudimentary basis, your COGS should be no greater than 30% of your retail price. Quite simply, this means that it should cost you no more than 30 cents to make a one dollar beverage. This includes all costs excluding labor, rent, utilities.

Ideally, payroll should be 25% or less than gross revenue. And rent is best at 6% or lower of your gross revenue.

What do I charge for a 12z latte? $3.25 - and that's adhering to the 30% COGS.

However, my price is not quite relevant. You need to sit down and do your own breakdown and analysis to understand your costs and figure out the right retail price for your business.
Really great, thanks april and Jay for their input.
When I was opening my shop I was told lots of stuff about percentages and all that. I'm sure we're all different. Here's what I aim for:

payroll (including me) about 30% (excluding me it's about 15%-20%)
Food mark-up in restaurants is usually 3:1
Retail goods are 2:1 or less - depending. I aim for 1.7:1 to move stock more quickly.
12oz dbl latte = $4
Pastry mark-up, see above. Although we bake our own from scratch and it's more difficult to determine ratios as we have raw ingredients, labour, electricity, etc...I'm willing to earn less on baked goods to encourage loyalty due to quality.

What's your goal with this info, Ray?
Stickman...I have been operating fairly loosely and have gotten away with it to a point. Meaning I have not really watched my costs but have fallen into the %'s somewhat. I want to tighten my belt and be responsible as a business owner. There are times I have fear around looking at my checkbook avoiding an experience of being defeated. I have taken on looking everyday without fail for the last few weeks and find that very freeing....I know where I am and what next to do. Sounds silly, but true.

The other part to what I am up to with this info is I am in conversation and analysis with another small coffee store owner in partnering with me opening 2 new stores. Thx for asking.
Our payrolls is about 20%, which doesn't include us (my wife and I). We do a standard 100% markup for things like chocolate bars, insulated mugs, etc. For food and beverage, it varies. We charge 3.50 for a 12 oz, double latte. And our pastry markup varies. We do best (way more than 100%) on the bakery that we make ourselves (muffins, blondies, scones, biscotti), and between 75% and 150% on the bakery that we have our freelance baker make (cakes, bars, and so forth).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service