Friends and coffee-lovers,

I'd like to share with you some thoughts and questions I have concerning barista training.

I'm a barista trainer in Israel, working for a large coffee distributor. I have cafes, restaurants, hotels and more spread throughout the country. In my past I've been a barista and got my training on-the-job and, after falling in love with a good espresso, through books, people, the net, dvd's, manuals and years of experience.

When there's enough time, baristas can be trained very well - being taught the story of coffee, the logic, bean-to-cup, hands on training and customer service.
The trick and the challenge arrive when there is little time and lots of trainees. I have clients who manage to hold on to their baristas for a long time and, on the other hand, I have clients whose staff change every couple of months.
I try to adapt my training abilities to the reality in front of me - sometimes I have only two hours to train 4-5 baristas who know nothing about coffee and espresso machines. Is anybody familiar with this situation?
I'm interested in knowing what you think\know about this challenge - training the best you can in minimum time.
When I have baristas coming to our training center and have them for a half-day or full day - not a problem. The challenge rises when I'm out in the field with a strict time-limit.

Trying to make a difference...
Thoughts? Feelings? Ideas?

Views: 166

Replies to This Discussion

Just a comment, I run into the same problem, not as frequent. The way I see it coffee in itself is an Art. The trick is being able to teach someone that Art, it is a task indeed, but I truly believe the only way to achieve it, is by assessing each individual, where as you may not have the time.I prefer the method of having a cup of coffee expressing what one feels while drinking a cup.If the group or person you are training have some way of meeting you in a conversation medium, then you can take that and build on it. Example if while tasting a good cup of Colombian coffee, they notice the notes being nutty, woody etc., then you can start from a tasting stand point of saying these are characteristics of Colombian coffee, if these qualities are not there chances are coffee is old, ground to much, to little, the water was to hot or not hot enough while preparing, or coffee is stale from sitting up to long. Sorry for this in length, the problem is this is quiet a science, I have developed my own science of teaching, guess thats why I love it so much. I have found my passion. Hopefully you can decipher some of my wording so you may apply what you can. Cheers~
Attachments:
Thanks for the sharing...
You're right - common grounds (double meaning intended) is the best way to meet, learn and teach. When I have the time, I love finding out the different way there is to each persons heart and mind. But time is exactly the problem...
Sometimes I get to a training session with one hour on my hand and 5-6 uninterested youngsters in front of me. Many times at least one or two of them really don't like coffee - at all.
At times like these I tend to train in a practical manner - do's and don'ts with no extra explanations. I never prefer this method, since I believe you must understand what it is you do in order to do it better but, as I said, with some customers there isn't enough time.
I wish and pray that I could have enough time and attention to talk over a cup of coffee with all of my trainees.
Thanks again for the help...
Hm... several times I had same request from some of my clients, to train couple of baristas in few hours. At the beginning I was taking that challenge, but I realize it is not possible, to teach someone, so many things, and make him skilled in so short period.
After all, I define training schedule, and follow it, otherwise I am not taking responsibility.
for the clients who wants INSTANT TRAINING for baristas, my agency issued manual (hand out), but not taking any responsibility after...
Hope if I helped....
Ciao!
Hi Dan...
well I was thinking about what you are saying...
and what I think...
there are few options..
or make the class for less student or just add someone to help you.
I do know it's hard to teach... it's hard to learn...
but in a big group it's hard for both sides!!!
this kind of studying should to be personal... cause there is too much information.
when I had student in the coffee shop... new baristas... it tooks few hours..
and the training split on 3 days!!! everytime something else... 3-5 hours per day!

anyway... I wish you good luck!!

p.s.
I didn't know there is barista training in Israel.
I would like to know more about it...
maybe next time I'll come to visit I take one of your classes!!!
shalom.

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service