I started a discussion with a couple of Ozo baristas about what it means to be a barista and what the potential of baristas as coffee experts can be. I think that a barista should know as much if not more about a particular coffee than the roasters. Baristas are in a position to have a very intimate relation with the coffee they serve (not that roasters dont have intimate relations with coffee! ;) and I think that baristas can take this coffee movement to a whole different level than it is at right now. I see things changing and coffee getting better all across the board and it is awesome and really inspiring, but I think it is time that baristas step it up as well. I don't know if this is the place to have this discussion, and I don't mean to offend anyone. I would love to explain my opinions in more depth and in person if anyone would like to listen! And I would love to hear what other people are thinking. Lets keep the energy from the competition and from the party @ sole rolling!

Views: 18

Replies to This Discussion

Lets talk about this at the get2gether. I am all about barista knowledge. It's been interesting being a barista for a while because only recently have I realized this great love of coffee that people in the area have. So many people were about this fast paced model for a bit. And that is good in a way... I think good customer service is essential. You are often interacting with people daily and they get to know and care about you. You form relationships with them. So it is up to the barista to relay awesome coffee info to customers and share their pashions with them. Tastings for customers! Expos for the people! I'm curious about this whole new level you speak of... Anyway, our coffee culture is developing right now and we have a lot of potential to give it a strong base through learning and comunication. Let's all learn from each other asap! Well, I think I'll be good for us all to talk in person again :)

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service