i am still navigating and dodging cars in pdx. this summer i may be going fixie ...

I also have a Kronan for the weekends:

Views: 443

Replies to This Discussion

Both bikes are sweet! The Swedish Kronan, do they sell these bikes over there?
Going fixed, you say? I don't dare. Single speed is my thing.
I am in full support of going fixie! It has been nearly three years since I started regularly riding my fixed gear on the streets and now I don't think I can go back. Shifters and breaks just feel so unnatural anymore...
More that I think about it, I do think that single speed is a better choice for me.

As far as the Kronan, no you cannot buy them in the states anymore. The only imported them for a year or two. It is a pretty great bike.
Johan, what's the cycling atmosphere like over there? What is the attitude taken by drivers toward bikers and vice versa? Are bike shops in abundance in Sweden?

I'm riding a old Raleigh 12-speed (aluminum frame with steel forks, very interesting) around Seattle, but I'm slowly working on building a flip-flop out of a frame I got from Zander. This city is moderately bike-friendly, but anything we bikers lack in size compared to the traffic we make up in ego.
A single speed can be pretty elegant and minimalistic also. Perhaps a flip-flop hub is the deal, so that you can switch between single speed and fixie? You will need a brake with the single speed version though... ;)
Malmoe is a great city for cycling. If you want, you can avoid the heavy streets and take the great bicycle lanes instead. That's great! Drivers has a good attitude, except some fools. Some bikers tend to think they own the streets some times, but I think that is the deal almost everywhere, and a way of suvival. ;) The fixie and single speed (SS on road bikes that is) scene is quite small in Sweden overall. Malmoe might catch up with Copenhagen (30 minutes by car from Malmoe over the Oresund brigde).

Among baristas in Malmoe the bicycle culture is hot!
Here is my Colnago Dream Cross...took me 4 years to build it. Like my espresso machines, nothing retro, but I LOVE her.
Attachments:
lovely!
This is my racer...well, maybe next summer it'll be a racer. I plan to at least do a few races next year.

It's a 2001ish Ciocc SAT 14.5 made with Dedacciai 14.5 Steel. I built it up with new SRAM Rival and a Deda cockpit with Fizik Airione and matching tape. Bontrager Race wheelset for the training wheels. It rides pretty sweet.

I also have a Centurion LeMans from 1986 converted to fixed that's out of commission due to a bent rear wheel.
Does anyone have a latte holder mounted on their bike?
Yes, I'm quite serious.
I've had dreams of a demitasse that clips into the handlebars.
My carbon road bike. Keeps me in shape.

My single-speed built from a mid-90ies Merida road frame (new painting, wheels and components).

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service