So here's a question...We got approved for a business loan at an awesome fixed rate like 2 months ago. Our bank rep stated that once you lock in the rate, they like to typically close within 30 days. The rep has been kind enough to push the official closing as long as possible since we haven't even started any buildout on the space, and we're just in the process of evaluating the first schematics from the Architect in 2 weeks. Our construction phase is not anticipated to start until August or even september now. Does it make sense to get the loan closed and start paying off the loan off when no money is coming in?? I would have loved to start paying off the loan the month we're supposed to open...I mean, in order to get the entire process going, you need to know how much of a loan you get approved for, and when the rate is so great, you can't just let it go..granted, 6 months from now, it could be the same, or it could be higher.

What's everybody doing out there...is this typical?

Views: 29

Replies to This Discussion

hi. The position you are in is typical, construction delays happened to me all the time. However, I think the main consideration has to be the very non-typical state of the credit markets right now. I work for an investment bank (I sold my shops off in 2007). If you were just taking rate-risk, pushing it out the way you have been probably makes sense. The thing you have to really try to understand with your bank rep is funding risk -- will the bank's appetite to lend, even to good borrowers, change? Good luck!
thanks!!! we're going to hold off for a little bit and see what happens. no sense in paying off a loan when the business is not generating any income. :)

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service