Hi everyone! My friend and I are hoping to open a coffee shop in a small affluent midwest town. We are wondering about the best way to become baristas since we will be the ones manning the shop. We are very excited and the idea seems to be quit well received. Coffee shops are popping up all over in our rural Iowa towns but this will be the first in our community. Any ideas on equipment and where to get it would be great!

Views: 110

Replies to This Discussion

Mellisa I'm so glad you made it on!! And yes, I'm super excited about our coffee shop!
Hi! Congratulations on your new shop! If you are still shopping for that perfect coffee to serve I think I can help. Please check out our website at www.trueblueroasters.com. We roast to order 100% organic fair trade coffees. If you like what you see please let me know. I would be glad to send you some samples as well as information on our wholesale pricing. Good luck to you on your new adventure!!!

Aimee Spence
True Blue Coffee Roasters
aspence@trueblueroasters.com
One of the best things we did before opening was to attend the 3-day Business Workshop put on in conjunction with CoffeeFest. Google "coffeefest" for dates and locations in your area. The Workshop covers many of the business issues facing new shops as well as basics on equipment, equipment maintenance, inventory management, personell issues, etc. The program was very well done. We also attended The American Barista College in Portland and learned from the pros how to make exceptional specialty coffee beverages along with a number of other topics. It was a worthwhile investment and one that I think essential to combat the problem of unskilled independent operators entering the industry which too often gives independents a bad name.

in general, starting a coffeeshop is an enormous undertaking. I found much of the information out there to be presented in a way that downplays the many obstacles you will encounter. If you are at all interested in whatever benefit my experience may provide give me a call at (208) 283-5289.
Becky, I wish you and your friend much success. Let me put in a few thoughts that no one has said but many of the owners will nod their heads in agreement. My comments come from being involved with two different coffee shops.

First, if you can find a way to start up the business without getting a loan DO IT! Unless you know for sure you will be making max profits right away, loan payments and equipment lease payments will eat your business up. I have seen this first hand.

Second, Never have a partner! This again I have seen first hand cause huge stress in the business. One of the smartest financial advisor's I know Dave Ramsey always advise against partnerships. Especially between friends. What he advises and I have seen work is this. One of you is the business owner. Which ever came up with the idea. The other works for the business. He/she may have huge authority and responsibility but when it comes to make a really tough decision there needs to be one Capt. of the boat, not two. The first coffee shop I was involved with closed due in a large part to this.

Those are my two main points. Now here is some fun ideas. Take a road trip. Visit every coffee shop you can. Look and learn from those doing it. No need to redo the same mistakes. Every owner loves to talk about their shop. Make sure some are one shop businesses and some are multiple shop businesses.

Next decide drive thru or no drive thru. There are many thoughts on this. I personally believe drive a thru eventually forces you to sacrifice quality for speed.

If you can have everything complete and ready to open, equipment, menu's, etc then delay opening one month. Bring in all employees and walk through everything you are going to do. Have friends and family be mock customers. This will help you find problems in your processes, your storing, your workspaces. Practice doing inventory and ordering. With both shops I've worked at I wish we had done this.

Sorry so wordy but these are lessons to learn from.
Bravo! Some excellant points. Don't go hog wild and buy everything new. Borrowing truly is a burden from the get go. Quality is king, (quility of the drinks on the palette,) and you can make quality drinks without the newest, high fangled widgets.)
We have 3 locations, our newest one of which has a husband and wife as partners with my wife and I. Three months open, killer location, but...PARTNERS ARE FOR DANCING!! Drive thru? Got one, mediocre at best.
Need to decide what your overall business plan and projected sales there-of. A low volume store under 180,000.00 should use semi-automatic espresso machines. A busy store 180,000.00 would be best suited using a super automatic machine. I prefer La Cimbali. Learning how to make the drinks are easy For example for a vanilla latte that is in a 16 ox cup use around 3 pumps of syrup and at least 2 shots of espresso combined with steamed milk.
A franchise is also a safeway to get up and going quickly. www.coffeefranchisereviews.org is a website where you can learn about franchises in the coffee industry. Also there is a section that will aid you through the opening a cofffee shop even if you decide to becoma an independent shop.
I am selling an my entire 3rd wave style coffee house as an asset sale in Golden Co. if you need the whole package I am sure we could work something out.
CWL, First a question, What do you mean by a super-automatic machines. I assume you mean one that grinds, tamps, pulls and dispenses a shot of expresso all by it self. If so I totally disagree, you would do just what S* does.

Second every drink should be measured to ensure quality and consistency. Counting numbers of pumps are not an accurate measurement. Three peaople will get three different amounts of flavouring.

Just my thoughts.
Hi,

I live in a small town in Southern MN between Minneapolis and Rochester. There aren't any coffee shops within 10 miles...just restaurants and bakeries serving diner-style coffee. A local business owner is looking for someone to open a coffee shop in her building, which also houses a natural foods store, a chiropractor, and a masseuse. I think this would be a great opportunity, and I've always planned on starting my own business (I come from a line of entrepreneurs).

However, I don't know much about the coffee business. I'd be looking to start pretty small and simple. I do appreciate a good cup of coffee and I always admired the baristas at gimme! coffee in Ithaca, NY, where I went to school. They made excellent coffee and espresso and were very professional. Though I'd want my operation to be simple, I want to offer a quality product.

I'm just looking for somewhere to find basic information about what it's like to run a coffee shop. I've never understood how they're able to stay in business making $3 at a time. This area is growing (albeit more slowly with the economy) and I think it would be a great time and place for a coffee shop. How do I begin learning about this? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Never, Ever sacrifice quality by using a super automatic. Espresso is the very heart and soul of all specialty coffee. Master the art of espresso, and you will be off to a good start. BTW, 90% off all espresso served in the United States is improperly extracted. A machine is a machine, it heats the water to 201 degrees F, and forces it out at 9 bars of pressure. When it is transformed into a robotic entity (allowed to do more) we lose the nuances that make espresso so incredible. Even when covering it up with vanilla, coconut, peanut butter and whip cream, we must remember, without that wonderful crema laiden extraction this drink is nothing!

Brian Muller said:
CWL, First a question, What do you mean by a super-automatic machines. I assume you mean one that grinds, tamps, pulls and dispenses a shot of expresso all by it self. If so I totally disagree, you would do just what S* does.

Second every drink should be measured to ensure quality and consistency. Counting numbers of pumps are not an accurate measurement. Three peaople will get three different amounts of flavouring.

Just my thoughts.

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service