Hi all! I am a hopeful shop owner and I'd like to get some opinions regarding location. One location I'm considering is in a VERY wealthy community, with a 4 or 5 square block downtown shopping area. Lots of car and foot traffic and lots of full service restaurants. The town is encouraging businesses to stay open later and create a more established night life for the area. The other location is in a wealthy (not AS wealthy as the first location) college town. The town is much bigger and more urban, although it already has a few run-of-the-mill coffee shops.

The question I have is what experiences people have had opening a shop in a smaller, wealthy area as opposed to a younger, larger more urban area. Is the sheer volume of people in the more urban area going to outweigh the money and potential to garner a regular following in the more suburban area? Thoughts?

Views: 60

Replies to This Discussion

Sean,

In part, it depends on your menu. The more affluent neighborhood is going to work better if your menu makes them BEG to leave the $$ in your store. You're going for higher-tickets, not more tickets, and in my experience, that's not a "just-coffee" menu. When I did a store like this, it had a baked goods/full lunch/fancy dessert menu. Target was $20 per cover. It was an art gallery, so even the walls were points of sale. I did stores at a naval base, baseball stadium and a university, and those were all built around foot traffic, a $4-5 per-cover target, and emphasis on up-selling the coffee. Good luck!
Based on my experience, I'd have to say the later is your best bet. A rich person isn't going to by more latte's than a college kid. But you WILL need volume to stay alive - trust me.
Sean,
If your still considering locations I may have a location that would interest you. It's beautiful Sedona, AZ. A tourist town in the beautiful red rock country of Northern AZ not more than a 45 minute drive from Flagstaff.

I'm looking to do a coffee/gift shop in a great location that I know will be a huge success. I'm looking for a partner. If this is something of interest to you please don't hesitate to contact me. If not best of luck to you!

Christina Martin

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service