Best Practices in Approaching Coffee Shop Owners With Baked Good Products

All,

I am one of the owners of Hannah Banana Bread Company. I am writing to ask your thoughts on how you choose baked goods, pastries and other consumable items at your locations. How do you like to be approached by folks like myself who offer several different yummy products that are typically sold by the slice?

My wife, Lisa, founded the firm seven years ago by selling products originating from family recipes to local coffee shops in and around Chicago. Back then, she was able to stop in for face-to-face meetings, which was great, but we just don't have the resources to do this all over the country. We oftentimes make calls during off-peak hours to coordinate sample mailings and go from there.

Does anyone have any further thoughts on how we can best approach coffee shop owners and managers, without being intrusive?

Views: 51

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Pete!

I'm a big email person...it's really hard to be on the phone while I'm at the shop. So, pricing via email is good, if you can attach a color flyer that shows me the products. Mailing a sample of your best product, along with a price sheet, is great too. I actually hate, more than anything, people just stopping by since I usually work the front counter, so don't have the luxury to stop for 10 minutes to chat with someone selling something.
So - I'd definitely say mailing a sample with the price sheet and then maybe a follow-up email or phone call a week or so later...
Pete,

Make sure your company is visable to the community. I get both the Fresh Cup and Roast Magazines and I have contacted a few different companies based on their adds. I agree with Heather that having a plan to ship samples is the best way to capture new customers, this will allow us to sample your products and your ability to get them to me while they are still fresh.

Good Luck
Cosmo
I often get samples sent to me, but it is always better if someone calls me first to say they are sending something, and then makes a follow up call to remind me. By far the most likely form of promotion is at trade fairs. If I go to a fair I'm going looking for a product in mind. I'm there for more inclined to place an order there and then having sampled and viewed the fresh product.

Have a great week

Les
www.in-arcadia.com
A nice letter is good. followed by samples for the cafe's customers..the cafe can then gauge the response and order/not order accordingly. Focus on the margins of the product, health benifits, storage, shelf life, etc. Food shows are another good one, many of my decisions are made at the shows

Dennis
Cafe Rouge
Canada

RSS

Barista Exchange Partners

Barista Exchange Friends

Keep Barista Exchange Free

Are you enjoying Barista Exchange? Is it helping you promote your business and helping you network in this great industry? Donate today to keep it free to all members. Supporters can join the "Supporters Group" with a donation. Thanks!

Clicky Web Analytics

© 2024   Created by Matt Milletto.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service